Bored with tank;ick/opportunity

Damseluver

Reefing newb
As some of you might rememberer when I set up my 125 I added a PBT rescued/bought a a local petco which equates to parasite exposure. He pulled through fine but I knew the tank was exposed and sure enough after some maintenance which involved moving some things around in the tank the minor stress seemed to be enough to let the ich establish itself on the tang. Poor guy had been parasite free for months.

My sure fired ich cure consist of taking all fish to lfs that runs copper and leaving tank fish less for a month or more. Hopefully I can get this done during the weekend.

During this fish less period I have to make a decision on what direction I want to go with the tank. I haver been doing reef since reentering the hobby four years ago and quite frankly am getting bored with it.

I am open to any and all suggestions. I am even considering going back to African cichlids (is that a dirty word in sw forum?) Maybe a sw predator tank or just a fowlr and have some of those fish species that were always off the list with corals. I have finished my living room renovations and will probably take the opportunity to move the tank also. My living room is so small at my condo that a six foot tank would function as a room divider. At any rate it looks like I will have a month or more to think it over.

Why dont you give us a better description of what you are keeping coral wise. That would give us a better idea of where to go.

Right now I have several softies and a few monti caps. Fish are; small maroon clown, a three stripe damsel the PBT and a cherub angel that has been with me for years.

Something I have always wanted was a clown trigger. Considering its expense I have to be certain of a parasite free tank which means getting rid of the fish I have for a month or more.

I will have to read up on the clown trigger but I am almost willing to get rid of the corals which will eliminate any lighting concerns and water quality concerns to a certain degree and go species specific on the whole 125gals on the clown trigger. I could then likely go sumpless and skimmerless also which then would elevate any water on the floor concerns barring any glass failure.

A mouth brooding African cichlid tank is still a possibility too and would take me all the way back to my aquarium roots. Lets face it, witnessing breeding behavior is something we miss out on with reef/sw tanks. I could then go over to that forum and pester people about how to make up my mind.:D

Last edited:
if you do go with the clown trigger you will have no corals left, be it by you getting rid of them or the clown trigger having a snack. also the clown trigger will most likely make a snack out of all inverts and the damsel, if the clown is small enough maybe that too. and if you do go with the trigger then your worst mistake would be to go skimmer-less

yes I know the trigger is a no no with the corals. I could probably trade in my corals and get the clown trigger for trade. I will have to get rid of the existing fish for my tanks fallow period on the parasite problem so no concerns there either

Skimmer less on a species specific mostly unlit 125 gal tank I don't think will be a problem however. Keep in mind the largest clown trigger I can buy is about the size of a half dollar. I can always hang on my existing skimmer if I decide to go sumpless.

On the other hand if I make the tank move I could actually upgrade the sump to a old 75 gal I have sitting around and or plumb the 125 to the 75 gal, keep the corals with the light fixture I have which actually fits the 75 gal and have the best of both worlds; non coral safe fish in the 125 and my corals and other assorted inverts in my 75gal. I hope that made sense.

Last edited:
I'm kinda bias,nothing really beat the diversity of a reef tank.I was the opposite,started out with a fish only.One of my first fish was an undulated trigger.It was amusing at first how it rearranged my live rock.As time went on,I was bored and more pissed how the rocks would get rearrange.

I mighted vote against having freshwater section here.I kind of wish we had one here now.Discus in a planted aquarium is something that peaks my interest.

See Reef I knew you would all come around and visit my side of the fence.

Damseluver, have you thought of trying a different variety of corals? Maybe get into some LPS or SPS. Freshwater tanks are where I started and I still keep my 29 planted, but they get boring kind of fast.

If your willing to give up the reef for clown trigger,Then by all means go with it.They are a great fish and fun to watch.

Back