Boring Clam

If it's doing better sitting on the sand, and the mantle isn't "coughing" then leave it and move it onto the flat piece of LR in about two weeks. If you see the mantle "coughing" that indicates that something is disturbing or eating its foot and you should get it up onto a piece or LR right away. Better to leave it be though at this point. Just keep your parameters stable and keep the hermits off of it.

"Coughing" = the clam will pull its mantle in and close its shell and then slowly reopen and extend its mantle back over the shell then repeat. When you first bring them home, their foot is soft and has no protection and things will come up from the sand and pick at them. If you put them on a flat piece of LR they will attach and their foot will harden so that pests can't disturb them.

I'd get that clam on a piece of rock pretty quick.Once the foot finds the glass,then its gonna be tough to get it loose with damaging it.And if that happens,then the clam will die.
Something else you might check.Get a magnifying glass and look around the shell real good.If there are small snails on it,remove them and kill em.

Thanks Yote. I am going to get it up on a rock today. When I checked on it this morning, it was leaning....makes me think something was pestering it during the night. Now I wonder....should I get it up higher toward the lights...?....or leave it low in the sand on a piece of LR?

I went my LFS and got my clam on a piece of small, flat LR. It's up high right now....until it attaches itself...then I'll put it back down into the sand. If I put it down right now, I can't really reach it if it gets tipped or anything. Does anyone have any idea how long it takes a clam to attach? Is it something that takes a few hours or days? Thanks.

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_7402.jpg
    IMG_7402.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 284
I keep checking to see if the foot has attached, and I noticed that it seems to already be attached to a small piece of broken shell. Maybe they shipped it that way on purpose? If you look closely, it's a white piece sticking up at the base of the clam. Does anyone know if this will be a problem? :frustrat:

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_7405.jpg
    IMG_7405.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 325
It was probably just stuck to the shell.But it'll eventually move its foot over to the rock.
Keep a close eye on it too,especially since you moved it up higher in the rock.You dont want it to bleach from getting to much light.

Just an update...my clam fell off the rock again and while I was trying to put it back in place the peppermint shrimp came out as a team and dragged it deep into the rocks. I'm bummed the clam died...but it was fun to watch! ;) When my water is stable for awhile...I'd like to try again.

Sorry about your clam. I have had 2-3 little ones like that die. If you can try one that's at least 3-4 inches; I think they are a bit hardier.

Hate to hear about your clam Ursla.
Something ate mine sometime last night.:sad: Not sure what killed it,but this morning it was just an empty shell.

That sucks Joe! Hate to say it, but I'd be looking to those crabs you are fond of... Chances are though that if it was them, the clam was probably already on it's way out.

Thats the thing though.It was perfectly fine when I went to bed.And It looled fine whe I left for work.:dunno:

Back