Bottom Feeder / Sand Cleaner

hibbard22

Reefing newb
We have a 30G little Reef... Inverts, Coral, Cleaner Shrimp, 2 Clowns, Flaming Angel, Coral Beauty, Yellow Wrasse, Royal Gramma, Red Scooter Blenny, Starfish...

But we are wanting to add something to keep the sandbed a little cleaner. Also have the snails and crabs, but they don't seem to clean the sand at all... Anyone have any recommendations that would not eat our Inverts or harm our fish...?

Appreciate the feedback...

Oh my, that is quite an overstocked tank. I would say a sand sifting goby to clean your sandbed but the last thing you need is another fish. You added 7 fish within a month? I'd say return the star (will starve in your tank) and the yellow wrasse (needs larger tank) and the red scooter (difficult care level, usually needs established tank) and get a sand sifting goby. I'd say return 1 of the angels too as they are semi aggressive and 2 of them in a small tank is a bit much.
Just my recommendations, hope you do not take offense. :)

+1 to Sarah.
Although you never said what kind of star you have. If it's a serpent star it'll be fine. Also what kind of snails do you have? Nass do a great job of stirring up the sand bed.

+1 everyone

That many fish in a small tank is just asking for trouble, and that trouble will result in fish dying. Which isnt fair to the fish because it is easily preventable.

Also generally you need a 100 gal+ system to try and keep two dwarf angels in the same tank, otherwise they will fight to the death.

Star will starve in that tank. Only thing you should add to your tank to keep it clean is a siphon vacuum once a week IMO.

I'd have to agree with everyone else, way to many fish in a short time in a small tank. Probably one of the reasons your having a nutrient buildup to much bio not enough biological filtration.

(Which as its already a too small a tank, it would be impossible to fit enough rock in there to fix the problem. I don't want it to seem as if I'm ok with it as long as there is sufficient filtering.)

The sand bed is not that dirty... I was just looking for some advice and didnt mean to offend anyone with my over stocked tank... I do my water changes every weekend... My levels on my water testing are actually great... Nitrates are never worse than 10 ppm... Both angels were put in the tank at the same time after sharing a tank at the LFS... Everybody is very docile... The starfish may need a new home though... Kinda hard to see her eat though and i dont want to starve her...

You didn't offend anyone. (Or, me at least.)
That being said, just because your angels are getting along NOW doesn't mean they will forever. I'd still return one of them.

You didn't offend anyone, we are just trying to help you out. There are reasons that you are only supposed to have 3-4 fish in a 30 gallon and add them 3 weeks apart. The bacteria needs a chance to catch up to the increased bioload, each fish needs to have room to establish its' territory to feel comfortable.
It is a simple fact that you cannot keep 7 fish happy and healthy in a 30 gallon tank, especially the fish that you have chosen, and especially in a tank that is only 1 month old.

+1 Sarah.. No offense taken here either. U asked and we all gave you an answer! It just an opion on our part to try and help you out in the long run. We are all here to try and help you not hurt you. We wanta see you and your Fish make it.

i have a blue cheek goby in my tank and he does a great job at cleaning my sand but he is messy he spits large mouth fulls of sand all over my rock and he is always burrowing under the rocks and stiring the sand up but i love him he is a real character ......

Back