Bought live rock, now I need some ID's please

jen_1122

Reefing newb
We ended up with a really beautiful rock and would like some help with ID to make sure I am feeding accordingly. and all are good. I hope so it was a beautiful peice. LOL

Attachments

• 2010-12-24 003resized.jpg
    2010-12-24 003resized.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 432
  • 2010-12-24 006resized.jpg
    2010-12-24 006resized.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 414
  • 2010-12-24 011resized.jpg
    2010-12-24 011resized.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 383
The tree like thing is a kenya tree, the green and red things are mushrooms. They don't require feeding, and will get all the nutrition they need from the light. Congrats, they are pretty!

You guys Rock :bowdown:. Thank you, Thank you. Any idea's on the clam looking thing (2nd pic), I thought he was a piece of the rock and then it opened up, poor guy gets covered by the mushrooms though. It opens up and has two filters, it would seem.They look to me like intake and outake, is he a clam?

Can't tell in the picture, but it looks like you might have an aptasia (sp?) right below the red mushroom in the last pic. I would ask one of the vets on the site about it.

I know he's hard to see, I thought he was the rock. LOL, But where the purple and the rock at the top are it opened up. I was a bit surprised. So, guess we will see how it plays out. Thanks everyone.

Can't tell in the picture, but it looks like you might have an aptasia (sp?) right below the red mushroom in the last pic. I would ask one of the vets on the site about it.
I think you might be right. there are a few of them. If I went with a peppermint shrimp how many should I get for a 14 gallon biocube? I have 2 other crabs in there now, but they seem to leave them alone. I was thinking 1 but there are a few of the aptasia's. Would 2 be too much?:scratchch
I have the feather also, right next to a few of them.

I think you could get 2 or 3 for your tank, and still be alright. Even if they don't have aiptasia to eat, they will do fine and scavenge other food.

Those are lots and lots of aiptasias! Those are pest anemones. You can use a product called Aiptasia X (it's reef safe) to kill them. And get a few peppermint shrimp to take care of any future ones that may crop up.

Back