boy or girl????

standingstill

Reefing newb
as i mentioned before i just bought 2 new small ocellaris clowns. i asked they guy at my LFS for a male and female, but he said that at their size they are neither yet....once they get bigger they will pair off into a male and female couple. is this accurate? they seem to be doing a funny dance too, they arent biting each other but it looks like they are. all they do is point there heads towards each other charge, but the stop before they make any contact. should i be worried about this? it looks pretty peaceful to me, and they still spend all there time together, its not like one goes and hides from the other, they stay very close to each other.

their little dance thaey are doing is they are going to see who is more dominiate than that one will turn into a female and the other weaker one will be the male.in this process could see some good aggression from them

They havent found the dominate one yet!! That will take a little time..

Its kind of like when you get married. The female slowly and methodically break your will until you do what they say. This process is slower and less humane when observing humans as opposed to the clownfish j/k :)

You may notice when the submissive one will turn sideways and it looks like they are going through a seizure. This is the smaller fishes way of showing submission. At least that is what mine did.

yeah thats exactly what these guys are doing, it looks like they are twitching. the smaller one seems to be more dominant so far, the larger one has been submissive, does the colouration have anything to do with it? because the larger one is missing a white stripe on one side of his body and it looks like thats the side it usually shows when its being submissive.

Yeah and the one of mine that has become the male got pretty beat up fins. But now, 2 months later, they're actually getting along great, even "sleeping" near each other. It's fun to watch them :)

Back