BP Oil Spill Just getting Worse Everyday

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by sen5241b, Jun 16, 2010.

1. sen5241b

sen5241b

AP - Scientists provided a new estimate for the amount of oil gushing from the ruptured well in the Gulf of Mexico on Tuesday that indicates it could be leaking up to 2.52 million gallons of crude a day.

This means they are containing far less of the oil than previously thought.

And then today the damn collection rig catches fire!

In today's testimony the oil execs said this may not be plugged until August.

sen5241b, Jun 16, 2010
    1. Advertisements

2. sen5241b

PRC Stop Quoting Me!

If somebody doesn't go to jail over those friggin memo's I'm gonna throw a fit.

PRC, Jun 16, 2010
    1. Advertisements

3. sen5241b

purpledragonfly1970

UGGGGGGG!!!!!!!! I Do not post on these things cause it PISSES me off ( excuse the unlady like language) they are destroying miles upon mile of ocean just so they can keep pumping and make a buck ......they need to implode the well and stop pumping

BP should be forced to stop doing business in the U.S.and go bankrupt to pay for the damages.......

purpledragonfly1970, Jun 16, 2010
  4. sen5241b

PRC Stop Quoting Me!

I couldn't agree more.

PRC, Jun 16, 2010
  5. sen5241b

dcantucson

We need them to stay up and running to have the funds to pay for everything.

dcantucson, Jun 16, 2010
  6. sen5241b

yote Ceritfied Mantis Hunter Moderator

The clean up cost down there is probably just a dop in the bucket for BP.
    And from I got from the news last night,the other big oil companies pretty much threw under the bus.Cant remember what exactly was said.
    But if Obama keeps his word as from his report last night,BP will wish they'd never sunk a bit in the Gulf.

yote, Jun 16, 2010
  7. sen5241b

Bifferwine I am a girl

I read somewhere that what they've spent on the cleanup so far is roughly equivalent to the amount of money they make in 3 days. Unfortunately, you can throw all the money in the world at a problem, but you're not going to take back those plants, animals and ecosystems that were destroyed. We can only hope that this incident will strengthen rules and regulations pertaining to drilling operations so that something like this can't happen again. The oil companies did say that if drilling in the Gulf was restricted or if new rules were too costly for them to implement, they would simply take their operations somewhere else -- off the shores of countries that don't have those rules. I believe the quote from one of the CEOs was something to the effect of "There's just too much money down there to let go."

Bifferwine, Jun 16, 2010
  8. sen5241b

KatiB

Unfortunately, people only scream when "disaster" strikes. The use of oil is widespread in many areas in our daily lives, that taken away, the same people would be screaming just as loud. Things like this are very detrimental, but they don't happen every day.....and in past disasters, the ecos have recovered. (yes it takes along time and yes it isn't 'worth' it - but it isn't the 'end of the world as we know it'.)

There is more fault in making companies drill for our "precious" oil offshore at distances and depths they can't recover quickly in, instead of areas that can be managed. Mismanagement is almost always at fault in any accident/disaster whether it be oil, air plane crashes, ferry sinkings, etc.... Sitting back and pointing fingers after the fact doesn't fix a problem. And giving BP credit, they have never shirked their accountability. They have always said they will pay for and do everything they can to 'fix' this. They have admitted and ensured they will take full financial responsibility....but people are still screaming they "PAY" by gosh!! Well, they are paying. They have always said they will. More companies should actually follow their lead when THEY have disasters. Like say the banks and financial institutes and car manufacturers....Who have done nothing to show accountability OR pay for the economic mess we're in now.

Accidents happen. We can ALWAYS go back and point fingers and blame. We don't live in a perfect bubble....As for me, I'll spend my efforts on volunteering and donations to help rather than yell and rant.

KatiB, Jun 16, 2010
  9. sen5241b

Bifferwine I am a girl

The ecosystem that the Exxon Valdez impacted (which the BP spill is most often compared to) still hasn't recovered, 20 years later. There really isn't any other "past disaster" at this scale that you can compare the BP spill to. We really haven't had to deal with oil spills of this size and extent before. So I think it's very imprudent to say that the ecosystem will recover. You don't know that -- this disaster is unprecedented, and any previous disasters we can compare it to actually show otherwise.

Twenty Years Later, Impacts of the Exxon Valdez Linger by Doug Struck: Yale Environment 360

Bifferwine, Jun 16, 2010
  10. sen5241b

The ecosystems down there will recover.But not in this life time.
    It MIGHT start showing signs of recovery in a couple thousand years,IF were lucky and I highly doubt that.

yote, Jun 17, 2010
  11. sen5241b

purpledragonfly1970

I know we will be lucky if our childrens children get to see the rebound and it is chaging the behaviors of animals ....when you have Dolphins and sharks swimming in the same shallow water just to get away from the common enemy oil ......in my mind that speaks volumes of the havoc this disaster has caused.

purpledragonfly1970, Jun 17, 2010
  12. sen5241b

dcantucson

I'm glad BP cares about the "small people" down there. It's comforting. :mrgreen:

Last edited: Jun 17, 2010
    dcantucson, Jun 17, 2010
  13. sen5241b

bjohanson1234 .........

I am glad that the midgets and dwarves are getting looked after... but what about the normal sized people and the giants?!?!?? :mrgreen:

bjohanson1234, Jun 17, 2010
  14. sen5241b

dcantucson

Screw them! They're only focusing on the small people for now.

dcantucson, Jun 17, 2010
  15. sen5241b

Bifferwine I am a girl

Bifferwine, Jun 17, 2010
  16. sen5241b

PRC Stop Quoting Me!

I'm on vacation this week....I watched this crap all day...I wanted to punch that douche Barton in the face. Within 5 minutes the deomcrats were all over his ass, saying that he has received well over $1 million in contributions from Oil Companies.

The thing that bothers me is, we knew that Hayward wasn't goign to say anything that we didn't already know. Why do we need these dog and pony shows, it accomplished nothing, didn't get us 1 minute closer to closing that well. They know damn well Hayward doesn't know jackshit about drilling a well...If you want to get real answers, why don't you get the people in there that actually know something. Why don't they bring in the guy that was actually on the rig, or the people who gave the orders to use half assed techniques.

PRC, Jun 17, 2010
  17. sen5241b

I'd like to stuff one of those tar balls down that pricks throat and make him wash it down with the crude that washing up in the marshes.:pissed:
    That 20 billion might help the folks that live along the gulf coast.But its not gonna bring back the wildlife.Its not gonna get all that oil out of the mud along the marshes.
    All thats gone.It'll probably not gonna be back in my grandchildrens life times.

yote, Jun 17, 2010
  18. sen5241b

PRC Stop Quoting Me!

Barton retracted his apology to BP...That idiot must've been listening to Limbaugh just before the hearings and was so giddy with excitement that he got to use the microphone today he couldn't control himself.:D

Either way, I think it's safe to assume that his career in Congress is coming to a very quick end.

I agree with Yote, $20 billion isn't nearly enough. They made the deal before they even stopped the spill. Now word is coming out that the casing isn't even attached to the hole anymore, which means that even with the new hole being drilled it won't stop the leak because there's nothing to hold the concrete that they want to push into it.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2010
    PRC, Jun 17, 2010
  19. sen5241b

Bifferwine I am a girl

I have a question. And perhaps I'm just too simple-minded to comprehend such things. But why don't they take some barges filled with rocks, and just dump all the rocks on top of the leak until it's plugged and filled? I know it's deep, but they can surely figure out a way to lower down the rocks so that they end up in the right place?

Bifferwine, Jun 17, 2010
  20. sen5241b

The oil will seep throught the rock and dirt.IF the pressuse dont just blow the fill to the side. Dirt and rock arent uniform enough to stop the oil from coming through.

yote, Jun 17, 2010
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question