Brain Coral need help please.

Alexander

Reef enthusiast
So i got this brain coral 3 days ago, after taking it home i noticed a spot that was white in color near the bottom of the coral. since then it has grow a considerable amount almost taking the bottom side of the coral. It almost looks like a film, like this morning it seems to wave in the current. It is on the sand bed not up on the rocks. should it be up closer to the lights? im using nova extreme t5. Its not getting direct flow but not stagnant either, does it need more flow? Here are some pictures. thank you for your help.

Thursday:

DSC_0127.jpg

Today:

DSC_0010.jpg

It doesn't look like bleaching, and I don't think bleaching would have happened that fast. Seems more like some sort of a disease or parasite. I'd try an iodine or coral dip if I were you. I'm assuming that the tissue underneath the white stuff is dying or dead.

I've seen that before. Eric Borneman does coral disease research and I've seen similar pics.
Do a Google search for beggiatoa or coral white syndrome.

Interesting, Capt. Seems Alexander's coral was wild-caught and came with a disease. That really sucks. It's bacterial, so a dip is still your best bet, I think.

The first thing I googled was a article suspecting elevated temps on reefs. Since I lost the fan on my lights the water has been a bit warm. Almost 84 degrees. Today I put up a big 3 foot tall fan on a bucket to cool down the water, though this seemed to be a problem with the coral when I got it do you think my water temp is making it worse. Hopefully it will drop today.

I have never done a dip before as up until recently I have only kept soft corals, unless someone says different I suppose I will research this and give it a try.

Just take about a 1/2 gallon of water out of the tank.Add 20 drops of Lugols and stir it for a minute,add the coral and let is set 15 or 20 minutes and hope for the best.
Thats about all you can do.

Thanks guys ill have to pick up some iodine at the lfs tomorrow after i get off as my LFS is not open on sundays :( ill update on how it goes. I really dont wanna lose this coral. :x:

thats a really beautiful brain, I'd hat to see you lose it. I also agree with the iodine dip being a good bet. Some LPS don't handle temps that high from what I've heard around the boards. Personally, mine have survived swings as high as 88 over the summer, albeit they were not brains, but euphyllias. Best of luck to you

Ok so here is the coral today as i got home from work.... spread worse. in fact it looked worse on the backside of it when i lifted it from the tank.

DSC_0022.jpg

DSC_0024.jpg

Picked this up

DSC_0025.jpg

Dipped it for 10 mins

DSC_0028.jpg

and now all we can do is sit back and ...... :beer: and :x:

That looks like a Favia to me, anyone else? If it doesnt stop after the dip I would consider fragging the coral 1/2" into the healthy part and seeing if stops the necrosis.

Ryan's got a good idea. I'd try dipping it twice. If that doesn't stop it, try saving what's left as a last ditch effort by chopping off the dead stuff. I know that would totally suck for you to have to do.

yeah 1/2 a colony is better than a whole bleached dead colony. Man I'm sorry to hear this news Alexander. Hope the dips work out ok.
Sorta does look like a favia...

Thanks guys, ill probably do an additional 10 min dip tomorrow to make sure we are safe. No idea how to frag a coral like this. Hacksaw?

Back