brain coral placement?

dapple

Salty Dog
I have just gotten a 3" diameter blue Atlantic brain coral. I have it positioned in the center of my 75 gal on a nice flat piece of live rock. Is this a suitable placement or should I put it on the live sand nearby? I have plenty of room for it in that area. Plus its not directly underneath my AI sols since its between the two units. Thank you for reading. :question:

I have three soft brains and a Aussie worm brain. They seem to like the sand and medium flow. Light isn't the biggest concern if you use some cyclopeeze or even feed them a tiny piece of scallop.

I have a medium sized purple and green a medium orange and a three mouth medium orange. They are all slightly different in type but beside once in a while watching them shrivel or blowup they have been there for over a year.

The light they get is low to moderate. I have never seen anything but short tentacle at night though for at least mine.

If you check my tank build thread you will find many photos and surely see them somewhere. To me they are easy to keep.

I noticed if they are moved to low flow they do not look happy. They need to bobble in the water gently.

They sit 30" down under 150watt MH and T5s but I recently got 4 sets of marineland reef ready LEDs that I added on but those are only effective to about 12" then taper off rapidly. After 24" it is basically only visual.

BTW I know they do tests but my 150x3 MH support many corals 30" down like my Montis and Plates and even the Worm Brain. My super large Anemone does like to chill like 15" under and has grown a ton over a year and a half. I feed it and the brains like once a month with scallop.

My higher corals have responded to them though and I have many so I can tell.

Last edited:
Like phastroh said, they need low to moderate light. Do NOT put them too close to a MH. I have always had to experiment with brains to till they looked comfortable under the right light.

I got mine where the 70 degree optics barely clip it while front center of my 74 gal on the sand bed. It seems to be hanging like a hair on biscuit. Lol. These lights are just simply awesome.

I have my brain on the sand bed! I have a 37 tall with 4 t5 bulbs. My brain is doing well. I have enough flow where it sways just a Lil bit. I spot feed it once a week with a Gallon milk jug over it and feed it mysis/brine or rod reef food. It loves it.

Back