Brand new 20 Gal

squibley2

Reefing newb
Brand new 20 Gal with pics

Hello everyone,

I am new to the page and to saltwater.
I set up a 20 Gal tank yesterday, I have a 130 Watt light with moon lights on the tank (12000K and blue) and the tank has about 25LBS of Live rock in it. The salt mix which was used was instant ocean, salinity is at 1.021. There is a whisper filter running with activated carbon and I am using Kent as the food for the live rock.

At this point I was just hoping for some tips on how best to proceed. I was thinking about a clownfish and maybe 2 or 3 other small fish after the tank has had about a week to get up and running with the live rock.

I have been waiting to do this for a while. I finally have it!

oh PS. I have a protein skimmer on order I should have that in a couple weeks (it is on backorder).

Last edited:
Welcome! Good luck with your tank :bounce: I'm still in the process of getting all my necessary equipment before I take that dive. You should look at aquariumgirl reef threads and get a good idea. My post is My new 29 gallon tank that has some good feedback. You could also use the "Helpful Articles" and read you are bound to find great advice and answers to some questions. If all reading fails just ask..............I always do :D By the way can you take pictures and upload them?

Yea I can probibly get some pics up in the next couple days. I am just so excited I have been doing freshwater for about a year and this is my first attempt at saltwater. With only the live rock in the tank it looks cool. There is so much stuff that is alive on in. I have no idea what it all is but it looks cool. lol

After doing some reading on live rock you may want make you didn't bring any unwanted vistors home to your 20 gallon tank. Look at "UnWanted Guest" post by "jcg432". This will help you out some. I really can't say much, but I could point you to good post that may help you out with answers :mrgreen:

Welcome ! No need to feed the rock.Do not add fish in a week that is quiet a bit to soon.If U got the live rock from a fish store it will need to be CURED.During shipping they only wrap live rock in damp newspaper so it will have quick a bit of die off. The fish store gets the rock in and hope to get a nice person like u to buy it .Even in there tank for a week or two it will not be cured out .Give that rock about 4-6 weeks to cure out .I know u just do not want to look at that empty tank for that long .Patience is VERY important in saltwater FO or reef tanks The more patience u have the better it will look in a couple months down the road and it will cost less out of your pocket . U see all these nice reef tanks they are not young tanks .So if u want yours to look good take your time and read as much about this fine hobby as possible .

The place that I got the live rock from is a place I have dealt with for a long time and the rock which I got has been cured for over 6 months in there tanks. I know the owner he is a friend of mine. That taken in to account do I still need to wait 4-6 weeks? He has been doing this for 30 some years and told me that a week would be fine. If I have to wait that is fine but I am curious. I have been reading a lot about saltwater and to me it doesn't seem that different from freshwater there are some extra things to consider and fewer water changes different light ect. But is seems similar.

Also the reason I am feeding the live rock is there are coral on it I am not sure on what type or anything but my friend who owns the store that I got it from said I should feed it due to that fact.

Sounds like u have been doing your homework.It is good to check on and know about what u are buying.If the rock has been cured that long u should do just fine in a couple of weeks .Still don't get in a hurry and do not over feed some of the addatives will feed algae blooms in a new tank.

Last edited:
I did not even think about a clean up crew I was just going to have the 3 fish or so. Are there other animals that I should add first for the tank to be right? Or is it ok just to have the live rock and some coral and a few fish. Also what should I add first the coral or the fish?

DSCF0080.JPG

DSCF0081.JPG

DSCF0084.JPG

I have a Jebo Odyssea 130Watt Power Compact light with a 12000K White and a Artinik blue bulb there are also 2 led moon lights on the tank for at night.

it is a 24" and I got it from Ebay for about 70 with shipping and handling.

How do I know when my tank is cycled and ready to add fish and coral and which do I add first. I tested all my water params friday and everything is at 0.
Nitrates, Nitrites, Ammonia.

PH is 8.2

Also how long should I have my light on I have been leaving it on all day. I work from 9-6 so I have been turning it on in the morning and then turning the pc's off when I go to bed so that only the moon lights are on.

Thanks

Last edited:
:question: :question: :question: :question: :question: :question: :question: I would only say read the "hepful articles" I'm a newbie with saltwater knowledge....................... :frustrat: However, I am reading alot :pooh: to understand it. :bounce: Well goodluck and keep the pic coming! Thank you for your advice on the light!

The last picture is an aiptisia. not good as it will sting anything it touches. do not damage it as each piece will grow into another full animal. this item should be removed by injecting a strong dose of kalkwrasser with hypodermic needle small needle, or one of the solutions offered for aquarium use. your system has not matured enough yet to be adding fish. you need to get a cleanup crew in 1st and some sand stirrers suitable for your substrait. once this has been done and all is well for a month or so, you can add but be very carful not to add to much too quickly or the new tank syndrome may bite if you exceed the capability of the bacteria to handle the bio load. some times you system will go through several cycles. you need to continue to test and keep records for comparison and dates. test same time each time. you will need a protien skimmer operational before adding any fish, or daily water changes. good luck keep us posted. read helpful articles, and be patient.

Back