Brand new to Salt Water

Aquatic Pet

Reefing newb
Hello Everyone,
I recently set up a 55 gallon salt water tank. I currently have 60 pounds of Live Rock, 60 pounds of Natures Ocean Bio-Active Live Aragonite Reef Sand, Heater, Protein Skimmer, 2 Powerheads on opposite sides of the tank, Canister Filter underneath and AquaSun T5 with 1 coral and 1 Ultra Sun.

I just put in over the past week, 10 hermit crabs, 10 snails, 1 shrimp. All my levels are good so yesterday, I added 2 Ocella Clowns. When I set up the tank, the guy told me that if i bought the Natures Ocean Sand, I didnt have to wait to put in the fish but we still waited 10 days. The Clowns seem to be doing good, allthough one of them swims really weird, (Im thinking I may have the current to strong).

I have the rock set up in 3 caves and some ledges all over. I am very excited about this new hobby and openly accept any suggestions or tips you can give me.

Thanks

Welcome to the site!!

Your LFS misled you, you need to get a test kit (with ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and pH tests) and test your water. If ammonia and nitrites are over 0 then you have problems. As far as the clowns behavior goes, they are very weird swimmers and you'll find out what looks odd is totally normal for clowns.
You should start a build thread in the tank showcase forum to show off your tank.

Thank you all.....I am really enjoying this new hobby. :) I have had many frehswater tanks throughout the years but this has become a extreme addiction. I love it.

Another funny thing i have noticed, I turned the lights off in the tank and about a hour later, I thought my clowns were dead. They both found a nice little cave and laid down in the sand. I was scared to death. I thought they were dying, but soon as i go over to the tank they got up and started swiming around. So i turned the lights off again and back down to the cave they went. So im guessing they are sleeping.....or tomorrow morning I will be crying that my first two lil fish are dead...LOL

Hello and welcome aboard!! Clowns are very unique in there own ways. My two swim sideways, vertically, and upright. As time goes on you will get used to there weird habits. Mhy two like to hang out in sand and in my cheto. They love laying in it

Back