Brand new to saltwater

BnLG

Reefing newb
I finally got a Biocube 29 for christmas after years of yearning for one. Previously we had freshwater but got bored. So far we have put in some live rock and sand, then blue hermit crabs and snails, 2 clownfish, a shrimp and 3 little corals. Now I am happy to wait and see how it goes as this has cost enough!!!

did you let you tank cycle first before adding anyhting? You might be risking it adding live stock before letting the tank cycle through to no ammonia. I guess if you set it up Christmas day and let it run first and then added the stuff today you might:-? be alright?? I would def. keep an eye out on your parameters daily. Good luck and enjoy the tank, you'll almost find something new everyday in the tank.

Now I am happy to wait and see how it goes as this has cost enough!!!
Welcome to the Reef! :)

One bit of advise I have for you is that this hobby is not as simple as you may think. Best bet is to research before actually doing anything with your tank. Whether it be starting fresh or adding a new type of critter/coral to your tank.

You can find most anything you need from the kind folks on these forums, they should be able to help you greatly!

Good Luck and enjoy this amazing hobby! :)

Thank you for your help and concerns. We are working with the staff at "Aquariums by Design" in our city and they have been very helpful and seem to know what they are talking about. They have been open for 14 months,now, and their tanks are gorgeous.:D

Always take advise from LFS (Local Fish Stores) with a grain of salt. remember they gain $$ from selling you stuff. Their advise may be(and usually is) based on that and not your best interest.

Ok, maybe some advice from you guys.:bowdown:
My lighting list says I have -
a 36 watt True Actinic 03 Blue straight pin,
a 36 watt 10,000k Daylight straight pin and
a 0.75 watt Lunar-Blue-moon-Glow LED.

What running times should I use and which order should I turn them on. I will be getting timers for them all, due to my eratic and hectic life schedule.

Thanks

- How long was your tank up and running for before you added corals/livestock? Also what type of corals do you have in your tank?

- For lighting schedules I keep my tank pretty simple, and mimic a regular day. My blue LED's usually come on slowly around 9AM, and ramp up throughout the day kind of mimicing the sun with a sunrise, and then noontime.. then at 1-2 pm my blues/white LEDs are on full power, and slowly ramp down from 2-5pm and my tank lights usually shut off around 6pm. It works for me, and my schedule (So Im able to view my tank after work etc.) It really depends on you. Just be careful, keeping lighting on for too long can cause nuisance algae to grow. Anywhere from 6-10 hours should be fine.

Back