Brand new to the forum and the marine hobby

I know metal halide is expensive, how much do you think it would cost. I have spent a ton of money on the hobby, and I am not afraid to buy the best quality...but I am curious.

Also how often do you guys do water changes for your marine tanks? I do 2 to 3 60% water changes a week for my 75. I assume that I shouldn't do close to that for marine.

Also do you dump the salt straight into the tank or do you mix it in a bucket?

So you guy's are saying I just need live sand and a protein skimmer for the bacteria? Should I get an HOB filter just to help it along?

when you start asking about water changes your getting into dangeous territory:mrgreen:. ive asked that same question and got such a wide range of answers. From twice a week to never do them. Since ive had my tank fully cycle I havent done a water change at all. There will be some people telling you diffrent. But if it aint broke dont try to fix it:mrgreen:

i try to change mine once a week it helps so that you dont have to add as many additives as you would do if the water was older. it also helps to keep the water fresh and clean i old water holds a ton of crap in it. you should do a water change at least once a month

As for mixing the salt water, if there is nothing in the tank, you can mix it in the tank. But once you add live rock, fish or inverts, always mix it in a bucket and get the right salinity and temp first

Brian

I just found another deal on craigslist

If you are starting up a salt water tank you can not find better sand loaded with mysis shrimp copipods no issues never had copper its 1.00 per pound . Don't miss this chance to have your new fish tank up and running like its been up for 9 years. I also have live rock , live corals , halide lighting systems including dual 400 and 250 watt metal halide and a 48 inch 4 x96 compact light system with moonligts. Also back up compact bulbs with plenty of life left for only 10.00 each or 4 for 35.00 call me at 724-968-9432 to see what else I have for sale

You have to have the salt water mixed up and ready. All the stuff in the live sand will die if fresh water is introduced to it.

I wouldnt think about adding any coral for atleast a month after the tank has finished its cycle, maybe more depending on which ones.

The only thing that happens fast in this hobby is a disaster. Take the month or so that it takes for the cycle to complete to read up and plan what you want to do

Brian

yea, cause if you try and rush this too much all your gonna end up doing is killing stuff and spending a bunch of money for nothing. patients... take your time and do it right, or dont bother at all...

can I put the live sand in my tank without all the equipment or salt? or should I wait?

dont put anything in the tank until you have the salinity right. if you add live sand to the tank and there ios no salt in it it will kill everything in the sand and rock. get everything set up saltwater mixed and than get your rock and sand. and let the tank cycle for a couple weeks before you put anything in it. than after all the ammonia and nitrite test 0 you can start adding fish. but you need to do it slow so that the tank can adjust the bacteria in the tank so that the levels do not become lethel to the fish. if you add a bunch of fish at one time most prob will die because the levels went to lethel levels because the tank can not catch up that fast. than wait for at least 4 months before adding any corals to let the tank to get more stable.

One of the lights you linked to was a 400 watt pendant. I think that's too much for your tank. A 150 watt pendant will be cheaper. You can check Craig's List too. Someone's usually getting rid of aquarium stuff and you can get a good deal. I just got a used one for $70 last week.

If there's nothing in your tank, you can add the salt directly to the tank. If you have any animals in there, you will want to mix the water and salt in a separate container until it reaches the correct salinity. Most people use a 5 gallon bucket, rubbermaid tub or plastic trash can. Make sure whatever it is, it's plastic. You don't want metal to come in contact with your water.

Most people do 10 to 20% water changes once a week or so. It will all depend on how many animals you have in the tank, how much you feed, etc. If you only have a couple fish, you won't need to do as many or as large water changes.

I look at water changes the same as I do oil changes in my truck.
Your not gonna wait until your vehicle has a rod knocking before doing an oil change,so why wait until you have problems in your aquarium before doing a water change.

Yeah I figured I couldn't add the live sand yet, just asking as many stupid questions as possible to get this all figured out.

Trust me guys I have the patience for this. I'm going to do this right.

Next order of business. I have about 250 dollars I can blow on the tank this week. What should I get first? Salt, Light, Skimmer?

Back