Brand new to the forum and the marine hobby

so I should just have no substrate until everything is in order. So I should just get the skimmer and salt for now. Then get the light, and then the sand?

this is what i would do

salt,sand, rock, skimmer, light

you will need a hydrometer or a refractometer to tell if you have the right salinity or not

you mean buy it in that order? I assume
Once the salt is good, how long should I wait before I put in the live sand?

What temp should I keep the water at? 80?

Last edited:
yes in that order
with out saltwater in the tank there is no reason to buy sand or rock because it will die, than a skimmer and the last thing you need is a light but wait until you know for shure what kinds of coral you want.

Most people were saying halide because the tank was deep. I want to do hard coral, but I think I should wait until I get the hold of a marine aquarium. It seems that most of the coral I like is hard though.

are you looking at sps corals? as for lights i would get a 150mh or a 250mh and the bulbs i would get something in the 14k to 20k color temps

Try looking on craigslist and see if you can find a used one more in your price range. I find alot of things on craigslist:D

I found a 250 watt halide for 125 and it was only used for a week.

Well I called the guy from the craigslist and told him I was interested in the light and the live sand, but I had to wait until the salt/ salinity of the tank was set. He said he would give me all the treated salt water I needed with the sand, and snails and all the other goodies? My question is, will that work? I mean if it's established water and live sand, will it be okay to put it straight into the tank?

Yeah,it'd be fine to add to your tank.But you'll probably want to have some extra water mixed up so you can finish topping off.

It's about 50 minutes away from my house, what do I need to do when transporting this? Do I need to keep the water or the live sand at a certain temp.? Any tips?

Back