Brand new to the forum and the marine hobby

My friend who is driving me wants to pick up the live sand, water, and the light and then go to a football game. So it would be a while before I got the stuff home. I think it's a bad idea, wouldn't the bacteria die due to the temp. change? Should I just buy the light and the water if he wants to do this?

With the sand,not really.But if its suppsoed to be hot,then it wouldnt hurt to throw in a couple of ice packs,just in case.

Put it in a LARGE drink cooler with a half dozen ice packs or so. It will be okay. No different than shipping live rock. It's not hard, really.

You shouldn't worry so much about the sand "dying". All you're trying to keep alive is the bacteria in it, and bacteria is extremely resilient. There will probably be extras in the sand, like bristleworms, pods, snails, crabs and other hitch hikers, but those guys are all really tough. I really think you are making a much bigger deal out of this than you need to. The sand will be fine, I promise!!!

Biff to Eli: Keep it together man!!! (slap)
Eli: Thanks Biff....I almost lost it.

I'm not worried about it getting to cold, just too hot. I think I can relax now.

Haha. Exactly!! I have ten 5-gallon buckets of live sand in my driveway right now. It's like 95 degrees out. It will be fine. I'm just too damn lazy to move it inside.

Well guys I hadve distilled water in the tank with salt in it. The hyrdrometer needle is right in the middle. Looks like this party is starting.

cool and where are the pics? Yes we like to see pictures of tanks with just water in them.

I'll have pics tomorrow. I'm getting the light, sand, and the rest of the water.

I hope there are a couple creatures who tag along with the sand. haha

A couple pictures

007.jpg

008.jpg

I think he gave me crushed coral in stead of live sand...since I am going to get a jaw fish I will use live sand for the rest of the substrate.

Back