Brass shut of valve

seth

Reefing newb
If I used a brass shut off valve for my DIY overflow and sump system would the brass affect my corals or fish in anyway. I guess my question is will brass hurt my tank?

Hrmm just browsing through this thread it got me concerned. I know my tube from the pump to the skimmer is held on with a stainless clamp. Im guessing I should get rid of this. What do you guys suggest for keeping that hose secure? If that pops off I would have a massive problem.

I guess I could use these but I'm nervous they don't secure it very well:
[ame]http://www.amazon.com/TWO-LITTLE-FISHIES-INC-Plastic/dp/B0002HBLIQ/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1329157930&sr=8-4[/ame]

Last edited:
Stainless steel tends to be fine in a tank. The shaft in the pumps are usually stainless steel. The biggest problem with brass is that it contains copper which is toxic to inverts and corals at relatively low levels.

Yeah, Im thinking it would be fine until it inevitably rusts in which it could in turn raise the pH level. Ill look into these plastic ones for the future.

Stainless doesn't rust. And even if it did, I don't think it effect the pH. People run GFO or granular ferrous oxide which is rust. If you are worried about it, you could look into getting a plastic clamp to hold the hose on.

Look for automotive low pressure plastic clamps. Auto parts stores also carry stainless clamps. Worm and band clamps. There is really no need for most of us to use band clamps though. Little bit of overkill and they aren't cheap!

Back