Bright enough for algae scrubber and cheato?

Discussion in 'New to Reefing' started by 613ReefGuy, Feb 9, 2012.

1. 613ReefGuy

613ReefGuy

Hey everyone. I'm in the process of making a new sump, and I am trying to keep things as neat as possible down there.

I understand I would need two utility lights for an algae scrubber and one to grow chaeto, but I was wondering if they have to be utility lights. I want to keep running costs down and was hoping LEDs would work. Do you think 3 of these LED Reef Bright set up properly would work?

Thank you

613ReefGuy, Feb 9, 2012
    1. Advertisements

2. 613ReefGuy

little_fish Moderator

I dont think those will work very well.

Just get those cheap metal reflectors from home depo and the CFL squiggly bulbs

little_fish, Feb 9, 2012
    1. Advertisements

3. 613ReefGuy

613ReefGuy

I have one of those reflectors right now, but I dont find it very pleasing on the eyes, so I am just trying to see if there are other options that wont make it look as cluttered in my sump. I also wanted to minimize the extra power for 3 lights if possible. I am trying to design a new sump that will allow for an algae scrubber, fuge and frag tank all in one as well as everything else found in the sump. Its a weird design right now, but I think i can pull it off.

613ReefGuy, Feb 9, 2012
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question