Bright green algae

rhudd26

Reefing newb
Hello,

First let me start off by saying thank you for all of the articles people have posted on the site.

I have a bright green what looks like algae on my sand bed along with this bright green algae mixed in with that is a dark red alage. I am running my euro reef skimmer, over flow etc etc. I am still have a hell of a time trying to get my parameters square. I have done water changes after water changes and still nothing. I am open to suggestions.:frustrat:

Let's start with some basic info. How many and what kinds of fish do you have? How often and what do you feed them? And how much do you feed them? What inverts do you have? How long do you keep your lights on for? What kind of water do you use for water changes (tap water, RODI water, etc)? What kind of filtration do you have other than your skimmer (or do you just have a skimmer)? What are your parameters at, specifically nitrate and phosphate?

dang nagging women!:mrgreen: just can't get away from them. even in here. high nutrient, and lots of lighting to feed it are the normal causes of algae growth. keeping phospates and nitrates low, using good ro water with TDS as close to 0 as possible, good water turnover, and cleanup crew is a good start. allso frequent weekly or bi-weekly water changes,and siphoning detritus off the sand. it allso helps to take a tukey baster and blast as much detritus out of rocks when doing water changes.

Last edited:
Leave it Biff to start nagging the new guy:mrgreen:

She does have a point though.A little more info would help.

BTW,welcome to the reef.:Cheers:

Welcome to the site. Fighting conchs will eat the diatoms and help stir the sand bed. First you need to determine the cause of the algae outbreak. so as Biff asked provide some water parameters and how you maintain your system and im very confident some here will have an opinion or two that with help you find a solution to your problem.

Back