Brightwell calcium sucks

Brian_G

overly obsessed
the max that i can raise my calcium a day by their "maximum daily dosage" is 1.25 ppm!

what in the world!! thats it!

what calcium does everyone use and how do they dose?

okay...now i feel down....i made a stupid mistake....

1 pm = 50 mEq/L

my test kits results are in mEq/L... so i can raise my calcium by about 65 mEq/L... haha

that sounds a bit better......

I think we've all done that one time or another Brian.:D
But I use either the Brightwells or Turbo Calcium.Their basically the same thing as far as I can tell.

well wait.. i think my math is still wrong!

ahhhh

haha
after making the stock solution of 10 grams in 8 fl.oz. 1 ml of that solution raises 1 gal 2.5 ppm...

max dosage is 10ml per 20 gal daily.

i have 100 total gallons...so i can dose 50 ml daily. which means i can raise by calcium by 1.25 pm. right?

1.25 ppm = 1 mg/L (because i was all wrong in my second post)

UNITS ARE MESSING ME UP!

correct me if im wrong please.

haha yeah thats what i meant

not 1.25 ppm = 1 mg/L its equal

but...is that right... can i only raise my calcium by 1.25 pm daily?

that just seems like so little to me...

oh wow randy holmes goes on about how bad chris brightwells chemicals are...

i did notice on the label... beginner says 2 grams is about 1/2 teaspoon but the the advanced says that 10 grams is 5 teaspoons...

huh? whats a teaspoon equal!!! this makes no sense....

okay...now i feel down....i made a stupid mistake....

1 pm = 50 mEq/L

my test kits results are in mEq/L... so i can raise my calcium by about 65 mEq/L... haha

that sounds a bit better......
What brand test kit do you have that measures calcium in meq/l? You sure it's not mg/l? 1 mg/l = 1 ppm, but 1 meq/l calcium = 20 ppm calcium

Anyway, you can safely raise calcium 20 ppm per day.

I use instant ocean calcium test. Probibly by the best. Bit I'm going to use it til I'm out and get another.

It gives mg/l.

I believe it's brightwells label that's wrong. The label contradicts itself.

Yeah. I use kalk as well. I have a diy kalk reactor that's working great so far.

How is bulk reef supplys chemicals? They almost seem too good to be true. Are they of good quality? Consistant throughout the bucket? Etc?

they are great the soda ash for alk is a powder that is all pure soda ash that you mix in a gallon of water. and the cal is a bag of pure calcium chloride pellets like dow flake that you just mix a certian amount in ro water. these are all pure forms of chmicals.

i have use them for over a year and they are great. i will keep buting these from them. i buy the two-part starter kit then i will get the large kit next time.

BRS has good quality products. The only thing I will add is, instead of buying soda ash at $16.99 for 7 lbs or $2.43/lb (plus shipping), buy a 12 lb bag for $7 or $0.58/lb of Arm & Hammer baking soda. Bake it in your oven at 350 for 1 hr and you have pure soda ash (sodium carbonate).

Last edited:
wow...maybe i will give them a shot. im so scheptical about the chemicals i use. i dont want to put just anything in my tank.

i see so many amazing tanks on this site and others and i really want to have mine look like that

Back