Bristle worms eat hermit crabs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Homer

Reefing newb
So... Finally I found prof that those little F`ers are bad...

Some people have been disagreeing with me and asking me why did I hunt and kill every single bristle worm in my aquarium... (with few great methods)...

1. I like to feel the live rock with my skin and don`t want to wear gloves..
2. I don`t like mindless creatures with the power to sting me, example, scorpions, bristle worms, tarantulas etc... You know, things that sting you based on instinct...
3. I like to create my aquarium, by my rules... Bristle worms are not the good CUC or whatever... They are bad... They eat hermit crabs and snails... Finally we have video proof... For the methods I used to get rid of them ask :)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cwnh9qebe-Y]Bristle worms eatting hermit crab - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Btv7oqJdFd8]Bristleworm vs. Hermit Crab - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czd8z_gQs-A]Bristle Worm Bristles Stuck to My Tang - YouTube[/ame]

Video 1: you can barely see the hermit crab in that video, so the crab could already be dead and the worms are just cleaning up.

Video 2: The worm never actually killed the crab and to me it doesn't even look liked it really attacked the crab

Video 3: The fish probably accidently rubbed against a bristle worm.

P.S tarantulas don’t sting they bite, and hardly ever bite humans.

For one, I dont use gloves in my tank and I have never had an issue with bristle worm stings.

Second, all those stinging creatures you listed (except the bristle worm which you reached out and touched) had to actively make the choice to sting you, because you blocked their instinctual desire to run away. Its totally fine you dont like them, I personally am not a huge fan of spiders, but you shouldnt call them mindless and you should also recognize that situation under which people get bit are generally their fault.

Third. I can only wish you the best of luck with that attitude.

I understand you dont like bristle worms, and that is totally fine. However, your attempts to make everyone else hate bristle worms because you do and then you go find really shoddy evidence will never stand up to the years of reefing experience that people have with these critters.

Bristle worms are a great member of your CUC, and if you have a plague population of them, then you have an overfeeding problem. They also dont ever attack living things, but they will go after sick and dying animals.

Homework.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_KbY2-hV_4]Good Worms vs Bad Worms - YouTube[/ame]

For one, I dont use gloves in my tank and I have never had an issue with bristle worm stings.

Second, all those stinging creatures you listed (except the bristle worm which you reached out and touched) had to actively make the choice to sting you, because you blocked their instinctual desire to run away. Its totally fine you dont like them, I personally am not a huge fan of spiders, but you shouldnt call them mindless and you should also recognize that situation under which people get bit are generally their fault.

Third. I can only wish you the best of luck with that attitude.

I understand you dont like bristle worms, and that is totally fine. However, your attempts to make everyone else hate bristle worms because you do and then you go find really shoddy evidence will never stand up to the years of reefing experience that people have with these critters.

Bristle worms are a great member of your CUC, and if you have a plague population of them, then you have an overfeeding problem. They also dont ever attack living things, but they will go after sick and dying animals.

I am not trying to make everyone hate bristle worms.. I am just showing the evidence, so people can make their own decissions... Because all You can see on the forum is that they are so good and so on... But the real truth is, that they can injure fish, they can and do attack other inverts, when they are out of scavanging food..

And YOu should wear gloves, those bristles (people say) are painful...

And do not lecture me about my fing attitude :) ... I own a international company, with 25 workers ,and I am only 21 of age...And believe me, I could not get here, if my attitude was not like this... I am used to the fact, that either there is my opinion or no ones. Employees usually have different opinions how things should be done, or what is wrong or right, but if anything would happen by their mind, I would not be making 160 000 per month... I would be just another poor European :D :D ... So, I am sorry, if I have raped your well being, but this is how I live :) :) ... YOu will get used to my writing and style :) ,and maybe even learn to ignore ir or understand it :) ...

Your income or profession has no bearing on your salty knowledge base. Thus your attitude will not change the minds of these very experienced reefers. If you don't like something in your tank, take it out!

To each his own. Lots of stuff in our tanks have the ability to eat each other. Guess what... that's life! Zoas have the ability to blind you or make you very ill. Urchins can prick you pretty bad if you are not careful. Anemones can eat your fish. Danger danger! I wouldn't give up any of them though. Some creatures do nothing for the aquarium and are nothing but pests. But anything with a real job gets a fair shake in my tank. In the case of bristle worms, they are ok unless they just get too darn big. Eculid worms... now that is something to worry about!

I have no problems if you don't want bristles in your tank. Just know that they are usually not considered "bad" and I doubt they would go after or could catch a healthy hermit crab.

P.S. - Another thread with someone getting their panties in a bunch over some advice from those with lots of experience? Egads. :passedout

I know right? What is up with these pissant little boys.

You seem to believe that youtube videos are proving what you believe, when taken totally out of context. In which case, I am going to prove to you that cats fly. I mean, just check out this video! How can you possibly believe anything else! Those whirling sons of bitches are out to get everyone! We have to get rid of all of them!!!! Why? Because I hate cats and I found one video that shows why they are dangerous to everyone despite hundreds of thousands of years of experience showing otherwise.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kSYhhilorA]Second flight Orvillecopter - YouTube[/ame]

Also like Salty said, your job and income have no baring on how well you do this hobby. I know many people who are just construction guys who will have a nicer tank than you ever will and will dance circles around your limited reefing knowledge.

But just for shits and giggles, lets pull it in anyways. I have degree in Biochemical and Chemical engineering, and I am getting Doctorate of Veterinary Medicine. So you can trust me because I am a engineer and almost a doctor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back