Bristle Worms

Coral Commander

Reefing newb
I have what I believe to be bristle worms. The one that I have seen is suspected to be quite large and embedded in a rock. I'd assume it's in the area of 12 inches but I am not sure because I have only seen part of it. I would like to get rid of it but I am not sure how. I have done some research online and found one person say that the traps that you can buy in the aquarium store aren't very effective. How would you guys recommend that I get rid of a bristle worm?

I wouldn't worry about it if I were you. Bristleworms are great members of your clean up crew. If you are set on getting him out, Yote claims that using a piece of panty hose with some food inside it will work -- their bristles will get trapped in the nylon.

they are detritus eaters basically, if you grab it make syre you have crazy glue to pull the stickers out lol, mines about 8 or 10 inches and has never done anything

Is it easy to misidentify these bristle worms? I want to make sure that I am not misidentifying it as something else that may be harmful to my tank.

I have a huge bristleworm in my tank. It is totally fine. It comes out at night (I wait for the light to go ff and shine a torch in there) It cleans up very nicely and hasn't harmed any of the other things in my tank. It came as a hitch hiker on some live rock about a year ago. There are a couple of different types though. One of them is called a coral eating fireworm. Quite hard to distinguish.

Back