Bristleworms...

I love bristleworms. They do so much for your system. They are excellent scavengers. Perfect addition to your cleanup crew. There are some types that grow like up to 16 inches and they are actually are not reccomended to be removed from your system because of how excellent they are with waste removal

YA RIGHT!! I have guys at my local reef club that have seen them eat corals. I also hate how they look and they just bother me really bad. They are kinda my pet peeve.

Here is a direct quote from ronald shimek, PH.D. Author of the pocket expert guide to marine invertebrets concerning the aquarium fireworm or Eurythoe sp.

"Exceptionally benefitial scavenger; harmless to healthy animals" "this scavenger usually arrives on live rock or in the base of a coral and helpfully consumes dead or dying animals, food remains, and other waste matter. It lives in crevaces or holes in the rockwork and comes out to scavenge after dark or after food has been introduced into the tank." "A beneficial scavenger such as this species should not be removed from the aquarium."

And I would like to add a passage from reef invertebrates-an essential guide to selection, care and compatibility. By Anthony calfo and Robert fenner. (If you recognise either of these names you will immediately know that they definately have better advice than anybody in your reef club. I'm not trying to come down on your opinion, rather try to educate you further so you can form your own opinion rather than just taking somebody elses.

"When you discover worms in your aquarium, please do not be alarmed or reactionary. Case in point, the sight of a common segmented worm with just a few bristles on it is enough to send many aquarists with just a little bit of knowledge and a whole lot of fear in search of a flame-thrower and napalm despenser. We ask you to pause in such cases and put down the military hardware. Noxious bristleworms, if indeed that's what you have and fear, are not only overstated as "bad guys"... But they are tremendously beneficial for the living substrate! They have an un-deservedly bad reputation mainly from the true bearded fireworm (hermodice carunculata) from days long ago when fireworms were common in trade with wild live rock out if florida and the carribean. But that wild rock has been illegal to collect since 1997. Other than immature (1-3 year aged) aquaculture rock from the reigon... Little wild substrate and very few of the real "bad worms" even make it to the hobby anymore. Arguments too that bristleworms can grow to plague populations are skewed by the omission that such plagues need fuel to grow- only in neglected or overfed tanks will you see these worms flourish to nuisance levels. Like many organisms in the reef aquarium, due diligence and husbandry is necissary to keep these and most other organisms in a balance that benefits the system. Its another friendly reminder of the importance of identifying and understanding the animals in out charge always before reacting. Expelling unknown marine worms from the aquarium is not a matter of "better safe than sorry" when the group is overwhelmingly helpful and harmless"

Aother thing I am worried about is when i clean my tank or move my rocks, which i do alot since i am still changing the looks, he has ran out and scared the shit out of me and made me drop my rock. worried he will sting me and it willl kinda hurt

Aother thing I am worried about is when i clean my tank or move my rocks, which i do alot since i am still changing the looks, he has ran out and scared the shit out of me and made me drop my rock. worried he will sting me and it willl kinda hurt

Oh yeah, bristleworms are deadly. Every year thousands of hobbyists are killed by them. They pull you right in the tank and devour you in minutes.

Well weather your worried about it or not it is way more beneficial to keep the worms in the tank. Maybe I could suggest you wear gloves when handling rocks. Its not going to make it impossible for them to get you but it will help. And if the unfortunate even happens it won't be too bad. I would rather catch a couple bristles than have all the worms in my system removed

Oh yeah, bristleworms are deadly. Every year thousands of hobbyists are killed by them. They pull you right in the tank and devour you in minutes.
Never did I say i was scared it would kill me, now did I. Tell me you dont get scared when a dog is on a chain and starts barking and running owards u. wont kill u but still scares alot of people

Bristle worms dont actually sting,they poke.It feels more like insulation stuck in your fingers,just itches quiet a bit.You can however remove the bristles by lightly rubbing the area with sharp edge of your pocket knife.

When ever a load of live rock comes into the store,I pick all the worms I can find out of the bottom of the boxes and bring them home.IMO,their the best part of your CUC.

Bristleworms won't eat anything that's not already dead or dying. If people in your reef club have seen them eating corals, they were doing them a favor by cleaning up a mess before it rotted and spoiled in the tank. I don't advise keeping animals like arrow crabs in tanks because they love to eat on bristleworms and bristleworms are some of the best cleaning crew you can have in your tank. Yeah they're creepy looking, but they serve a very important purpose and no other animal that you can buy will do their job.

Back