Brittany's teeny tiny reef!

beeguiles

they call me fish geek ;p
I can't afford an upgrade so I'm setting up a small tank that I had laying around! My clowns have been hosting and pestering my plate coral and I don't want it to die so I figured I'd just make a mini reef in my kitchen and stick the plate coral in there. My hubby and I are getting a couple peices of live rock tomorrow and ordering the light also then all I need is sand and a powerhead but those may have to wait until payday. For now I just have a submerged filter to move the water around and I put in some frozen krill to start the cycle. Here's a picture of where it is placed. Nothing impressive yet but give it time :) I'm planning on getting a 425 koralia ph, black sand, one bag will be plenty I think, 15-20 lbs of live rock, and as for the lighting, I don't have too much money so I'm getting the odyssea t5 HO fixture. It's a small tank so that light should do I think. Still thinking of possible fish but that's still a few weeks away depending on how fast this cycle goes.
IMAG1640.jpg

If thats where you are going to put the tank, I'd be worried about moisture and salt creep ruining the cupboards.

OH you KNOW I'm excited for this build! I have my goldfish (whoopee dee do) in the same spot on my counter Brittany, so fun to have a tank in the kitchen. A reef tank would be soooo fun.
I like snooping around your house. Isn't the magic bullet the best? Also, what is in that vlasic jar, rooting a plant?
You spraying the back of the tank?

So, this thread was started 10 hours ago and I still see no LR/sand/life in the tank ... clearly your priorities are a little skewed.

Nice to see another small tank , I Like my 5.5 much more than my 90. Its easier to find all of the tiny critters that run around at night.

Salty, I kept that tank there before for freshwater fish amd it hasn't a problem but thanks for the heads up!

Sarah, yea I've been rooting that plant since summer lol its a red day lily that I never got around to planting so I'm waiting till its warm out again Haha and I love my magic bullet, it makes awesome frozen lemonades!

Brian number one lol I went to bed after starting this thread and now I just woke up! Lol

Brian number two, yea I have a feeling I'm gonna have fun with this tank. I want to try a minimalist aquascape, use a lot of negative space to make a small tank look bigger than it is :) I was thinking maybe two islands, one bigger than the other but make them have little coves at the base in the front of them....idk just brainstorming.

Thanks for all the posts guys! I am so excited about this! This means I can get another little fishie after the cycle!

OH you KNOW I'm excited for this build! I have my goldfish (whoopee dee do) in the same spot on my counter Brittany, so fun to have a tank in the kitchen. A reef tank would be soooo fun.
I like snooping around your house. Isn't the magic bullet the best? Also, what is in that vlasic jar, rooting a plant?
You spraying the back of the tank?

Whatcha doing right now? Take a shower yet today? Cute lunchbox. I have the same dishwasher. :mrgreen:

Snooping is the best. Come on people, post more pics of your house.

.....creeperrr lol Just kidding!

I actually just ordered my lighting fixture. Should be here next week. And my husbands watching a movie right now so I guess we are going to the lfs later.

Went out and got five lbs of live rock and 10 lbs of black sand. I didn't get the live sand bc its double the price and prlly not really live anyways. An emerald crab hitch hiked on the rock so I put a little algae sheet in there for him to munch on. The rock aren't staying how they are, just a temporary scape. I'm going to order prlly 10 more lbs of dry rock online and put that in there as well. Just wanted to get some live rock to seed the tank. Also the crappy hood isnt staying either. Just there for a little bit of light until I get my new lighting fixture. So here's the pics!

IMAG1642.jpg

IMAG1643.jpg

IMAG1641.jpg

Thanks Hannah. My hubby and I have been thinking about doing it as a seahorse tank. I'm in the process of researching right now about them. I'm thinking a couple horses with soft corals and some gorgonians. Maybe some macro algae...hmm

Back