brittle or serpent star

lumpy

Reefing newb
I added a new rock with some corals to my tank and while watching the tank today noticed that either a brittle or a serpent star had hitchhiked a ride. The star is about the size of a nickel if all of the legs were pulled straight out. I tried to catch the little bugger but it was on the back of the aquarium and I didnt have much luck getting ahold of it.

If I remember correctly brittle stars are not safe for reef aquariums (although I think I heard that serpent stars are safe). Is this accurate? What should I be watching for in terms of damage? Anyone know any tricks to catching the little bugger and getting him out of there?

Brittle stars are reef safe, as are serpent stars. The mini brittles (the one that you saw) are really common hitch hikers and are harmless.

+1 Biff.
The only brittle star you wouldn't want to add is the big green Brittles. And it's not that they aren't reef safe, it's because their not fish safe.

As always, Thank you guys. So are all other brittle/serpent stars fish safe? Except for the green ones that is.

Back