Brittle Star Question

AundriaM

Reefing newb
I went looking for a brittle star today to help with my sandbed (my snails and gobie aren't cutting it). There was one at the store that I was told was too big for my 55 gal, but the other one is missing limbs - poor thing! I was told that the size of this one was better for my tank, and that the arms would regenerate. Just wondering if this is true, as I haven't been able to find anything online about them preforming this feat in the home aquarium. He didn't have a title - just brittle starfish. He is reddish tan with white spikes. The two remaining arms are about 6" long, with the other stumps about 1 - 2". Also, what would cause him to lose his arms?

Thanks in advance!

I have read when a star fish loses a limb there reproducing. The red brittle stars only get 10in big so I dont know why it would be too big for your tank, and if it gets too big for your tank then why are they trying to sell you one. I cant say for sure I think your lfs is trying to get you to buy the less attractive one, because they know its easier to sell a better looking one. If it were me I would have told them to just sell me the big one, if I knew it was ok for that size tank. I'm sure someone else will join in soon to give you a definet answere. Good luck.

It is a sign of reproduction the libs will crawl away and grow new bodies the central disks will indeed grow there portion of the limbs back nothing to worry over.

Thanks! And those are good points Bobby. I believe we have 3 stores in town that carry Saltwater fish, and I have concerns with all three of them - kind of a bummer. May I ask, what is an "lfs" - I see the name everywhere and thought it was a chain store, but maybe it's an acronymn? Live Fish Store maybe??

LOL - Thanks Jelly - I won't tell you how many years I thought Albuquerque was just missing out on this cool store. Duh! I guess it goes to show how nice everyone here is - I never asked before because people weren't too friendly to newbies at the other sites I visited!

Also I think it's worth adding that stars can lose their legs under stressful conditions. They will grow back if their environment improves, but it's not only a form of reproduction, it also can indicate that they are dying (I had an inexplicable nitrate spike in my tank a while back and the brittle star couldn't handle it and slowly started falling to pieces until it died).

Actually , for star fish to reproduce in this manner,there has to be a good portion of the central disk attached to the arm.
The most common reason for a star to lose an arm is stress ,but will also discard one to distract predators while the star itself escapes.

If your decide you deffinetly want a red brittle star, then I would just go in there and tell them flat out I only want the bigger nice looking one. If they say no its too big for your tank, I would then tell them "fine I just wont shop here I'm sure any other lfs wont have a porblem taking my buisness" and then leave. Then they'll either suddenly change there mind, or lose a paying customer. But thats just what I would do. Good luck and keep us posted on what happens.

Bifferwine said:
Also I think it's worth adding that stars can lose their legs under stressful conditions. They will grow back if their environment improves, but it's not only a form of reproduction, it also can indicate that they are dying (I had an inexplicable nitrate spike in my tank a while back and the brittle star couldn't handle it and slowly started falling to pieces until it died).

What a way to go...limbs falling off.:sniffles: :sniffles: :sniffles: :sniffles: :sniffles:

Back