Brittle Star?

sferris1

Reefing newb
Can someone help me ID this I have two. They look like star legs but I have yet to see a body they just stick out of the rock. I know the pics are not the best.

Attachments

• downsized_0809092020.jpg
    downsized_0809092020.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 1,265
  • downsized_0809092020a.jpg
    downsized_0809092020a.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 567
They are star legs. It's a brittle star. Don't be surprised if you never see it's body -- the tiny hitch hiking brittles like those rarely come out.

They also never get very big. If you look long enough then eventually you'll see one come out and crawl into another hole. When I first saw them in my tank I got excited and thought my brittle stars had reproduced. Not the case.

I have two brittle stars. My big one is about 6 inches across and the minute I put chopped up clam pieces in the water he starts flying over the rocks and sand to get to it :)

It is great to watch. My smaller one hides most of the time.

I have literally HUNDREDS of them...

In all the joining sections of my Favite Brain, I have so many that it looks like it needs to shave.

i thought brittle stars ate your coral?

at least thats what i heard from my lfs but i know i cant always trust them

+1 Biff

As I mentioned, I have tons living IN my Favite. not sure if they are supposed to have a *true* symbiotic relationship with them, but it is fascinating to watch. When the Favite pulls in food with its sleepers, The stars participate and also get to feed.

+2 Biff
The only brittle star thats NOT safe,is the big green brittles.They can and do catch and eat fish.

Back