Broken Birdsnest Corals

Wes888

Reef enthusiast
Someone sent me a Pink Birdsnest Corals but, obviously, it was not packaged properly. It has been broken into many pieces with tiny branches about 1cm each. Anyway I can salvage them? Never done coral before. No idea how to deal with it. Glue/rubber band a piece on to a plug? Or they are dead and forget about it?

BN's are super easy fraggers. I've managed to frag pieces smaller than 1cm and they have thrived. Glue em to some rubble and try not to move em around once they're placed. Flow isn't so critical when they're frags, but when they're colony size, they will need super flow. Good luck

thats pretty common for a birds nest to get broken in shipping they are so fragile. Yep glue the frags they should be fine as everyone said.
Good Luck

Thanks everyone. Should I put the largest piece that's attaching to a plug at the bottom of the tank to acclimate it to my light for a few weeks or should I put it at least 1/4 or 1/3 tank height?

I'd start it down in the bottom 1/4 of the tank,then move it up some every week untill you get it in that perfect spot.

I've glued together hundreds of birdsnest frags. Even the smallest pieces have grown with minimal glueing. At times I have put multiple frags on one frag plug. Treat your frags as you would any other coral and your growth will be good. Although I never glue SPS straight up and down, always laying down. You'll be happier with your results.

+1 zoakeeper, good tips. I am a new believer in sideways laying SPS frags. Gives the cut end a better chance to heal and allows for better encrusting and branching.

The Corals and all of the broken branches seem to be doing well.

BirdNest900.jpg

BirdNestTip.jpg

Thats a good looking birdsnest.
But its bent:D You should get a bunch of branches out of that one.It looks like somebody had it growing sideways.

Yea, actually, it kinda looks like it was grown upside down. Where should I cut it? All of those that's pointing downward?

I wouldnt cut em.I'd let it grow out just like it is.I think you'll get some great shape and a lot of growth just like it is.

Back