Brookylnella...now what?

Tango

Reefing newb
So I have a brand new tank, 1 month old. Put a chromis in their and a few weeks later two small clowns.

Everything was awesome. Parameters were always PERFECT, even to the day the clowns died.

They lasted 5 days, contracted Brooklynella and died. :(

I don't understand where the Brook came from. The clowns were captive bred from a trusted LFS.

I acclimated, they were happy as happy could be. They brought out the best in my Chromis. They ate...

Anyways. The Chromis is still their but when do I put in new fish?

I don't want this to happen again.

So far all I did was hook up a UV light to try to kill the parasite.

How do I get rid of this stupid virus that claimed my clownies :( I don't want this to happen again

100%

One clown had his top fin covered in white slime. Next day his chin had white slime hanging from it and was breathing heavily, the other one started to get the slime around his bottom fins and the next day they were dead.

Oh, im sorry to hear this

Many of these disease are always present in our tanks, and there really isnt a ton we can do about it but try and keep our fish stressfree. The move from the lfs to your tank might have been enough do to the poor guys in.

I would just let the tank sit for a few weeks, and then try and add another pair. I might help to try and pick a pair of clowns that have been at the lfs for a few weeks, so you know they arent under stress from all the shipping and moving around.

Yah the move from the LFS and my house is a 45 min drive. It was actually kinda fun, I put the little guys in my seat with the seat belt on and I turn on the car seat heater so the temp would maintain. Miss those little guys :(

I'll try another pair after Christmas I think! Probably QT them this time for a week! I'll be making another thread on how to QT, I have no idea how to set up a QT tank. So I'll research and if I can't find answers I'll make a new thread on this board!

If you already have fish in your tank that havent been QT there is no point QTing now, unless you go the full route of pulling that fish from the tank and leaving it empty for 3 months and then QT every fish you get for 2 months with treatment.

Hi Lil Fish,
How come no point in QT?

I was thinking of QT to keep an eye on the fish for a week or so and if they need meds, than apply. Also gives them a chance to learn how to eat the food I have. You don't think QT is a good idea if I have a fish in the tank already? How come (I really don't know) I thought QT was just a slower, safer way to introduce fish.

That isnt a true QT, what you are describing. You can do it, but it wont prevent the introduction of disease into your tank. Most fish will carry a disease but their immune system can fight it off; however, when they become stressed their immune system takes a hit and that is when disease can take over. Most of rely on keeping our fish stress free and therefore disease free.

+1 fish...the only way to be completely sure that brook and any other parasites are dead in your tank is a nice long fallow (fishless) period. That way, the existing parasites in there now will die off w/ no host. The only way to keep it from happening again, is to do a proper qt, and actually treat for a specific parasite/disease. Most of us don't qt (I would if I did it over again)...but we just try to keep the parameters healthy, like lilfish said.

Back