Brown Algae (I think)

RDB2012

Reefing newb
My 72 G FOWLR tank has been running for about 3 or 4 months. Over the past few weeks i've noticed some brown algae (don't know what kind) growing on my Live Rock. I'm not sure what it is or how to get rid of it. I've tested my water and it's still testing ok. Nitrates are a lil high (30-50) but that'll come down when i do a water change.

Nitrate - 30 - 50
Nitrite - 0
PH - 8 - 8.4
Salinity - 1.024
Ammonia - 0

Do you have a canister? If so, that could very well be contributing to the high nitrates. And nitrates at 30 to 50, I'd consider "very" high, not "a lil" high. ;) Your other parameters look fine. Work on those nitrates.

Are you using RODI water? Are you overstocked? How often and what do you feed?

yea I have a fluval 406 Canister filter. However I just ordered a 30 G sump and a large protein Skimmer (Rated for 200G). Not using a RODI but not using tap water either.
I have a Snowflake EEL, 2 Spinybox Puffers, Raccoon Butterfly and 2 Clown Fish in a 72G Bowfront. I feed them once a day however the Puffers are messy eater so I think thats why my Nitrates are so high. I've already started cutting down the Amount I feed em. No RODI water yet but working on that too.

You are not overstocked, but you do have messy eaters, so that is a challenge in keeping your water quality high.

And what kind of water are you using?

I buy water at the Store, then add the Salt mix I got from my LFS. I'm hoping to get a RODI in the next few weeks.
What can I do about the Brown Algae on the LR

Back