Brown Algae (maybe)

cumminz

Reefing newb
I have some rock in my tank. I am trying to get my cycle started and I am running my lights 24/7. After the 2nd day of running them 24/7, Brown stuff started growing on some of my Base rock and on my glass, but all my readings are at "0". Is this algea, or is it that my Base Rock is seeding?

-Cameron

That is the result of your lighting schedule cut them off now for a week. Then start off with say a six hour lighting schedule. 24/7 lighting will just screw up your tank(which you have seen) and severly shorten your bulbs effective life span.

https://www.livingreefs.com/articles/cycling-the-tank-t517.php

I dont see anywhere in the cycling the tank article that says anything about 24/7 lighting. If you want to get your tank cycling you need decaying organics. If you got uncured live rock that should be plenty. If you got curred add a pinch of fish food to it to get the nitrification process started. Im not being an ass but the guy at the fish store hasnt got a clue what it takes to cycle a tank if he told you to leave your lights on for 24/7

Leaving the lights on will not speed up cycling a tank. Cycling refers to the colonization of the rock, sand and water column by bacteria. Bacteria will grow and multiply regardless of whether there's light or not because they are non-photosynthetic. Leaving your lights on will only allow the growth and spread of algae.

Since you are starting to see algae so soon (no doubt as a result of leaving the lights on 24/7), I'd do as Ryan says and cut the lights for about a week or so. This will not slow down your cycle at all. It will only slow down the algae, which need light to survive. Bacteria does not.

You will not be able to see the base rock seeding, as that just means the bacteria is spreading to it.

Yellow-tailed blue damsel. They are aggressive fish and very hard to catch. What are your plans for your tank?

just wait until you have all the rock out in buckets trying to catch it then cant find it because in is hidden in a peice of rock that you had taken out. just to let you know it wont be that easy.

Just run your lights as if the tank was up and running normally, and the tank is already cycled. Also run all pumps, skimmers and power heads as if the tank was already cycled. There will be adequate nutrients for your tank to cycle with out letting organisms die intentionally to feed the cycle. Your diatom algae will go most likely go away on its own without any thing needing to be done by you. Diatom algae, and even green algae and cyano algae are typical in nearly all newly established tanks. Recurrence of these algae problems after your tank becomes established however is a sign of poor maintenance or bad feeding habits and these result in nutrient problems. These problems can be handled through normal nutrient exportation.
Safe and sane cycling that will keep your fish and all or nearly all the life that came on, in and with your live rock alive.
Make sure you have a new, good ammonia test kit. Test the tank at least twice a day (morning and evening). As soon as the level gets above one part per million, change enough water to bring it down to safe levels. For example, if your test shows that you're at 1.25ppm, you'll need do approximately a 25% water change to get it below 1ppm. It may take 4 to 7 days or more of water changes until the tank cycles.

Last edited:
I talked to a guy today that said he thinks my tank has already cycled because all of my rock was cured and i got sand from an established tank

Usually there will be at least a small cycle as the sand and rock will have some die off. However, it is possible to not have one, it is just seldom the case though..

Back