Brown algae on Kenya Tree and Leather Toadstool

Kevotastic

Reefing newb
I recently purchased (within a week) some new corals for my 38 gal tank. A Kenya Tree, Leather Toadstool, Xenias, Frogspawn, and a Green Brain. All of which seem to being doing great except the Kenya Tree which has a ring of brown algae growing around its base and the Leather Toadstool also has a brown ring around the base and is slouching to one side with some skin looking material coming off its crown. They just do not look happy. I took side and front views of them this morning with only my 2 actinic t5's on. Sorry for making you tilt your head for the sideways pics.
-Kevin

Attachments

• Kenya tree front.jpg
    Kenya tree front.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 535
  • Toadstool front.jpg
    Toadstool front.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 495
  • Sideview1.jpg
    Sideview1.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 496
  • sideview2.jpg
    sideview2.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 568
That looks normal. Nothing to worry about. I think almost all the leather's I've had have developed that brown ring around the bottom. I'm not even sure it's algae. As for them being wilty and having material come off of them, that's normal too. Leathers periodically shed their skin. During this time, they tend to look unhealthy and unhappy. It can take a week or two, but they will pop back up. It can help to have them in an area where a powerhead can blow that material off of them.

My trees had a brown ring at the base also. They would also shrivel up from time to time and were fine. If you manage to kill the tree, you got some serious problems in there. A very tough weed.

Back