Brown Algae problem- Ugly tank

dkonni

Reefing newb
I have a 55 gal with relatively new setup about 8-10 weeks now. But all of a sudden there is a lot of Brown algae all over the glass, thermometer, filter, Sand, etc. I have already taken the lights back a few hours a day but am looking to fix this problem which is making my tank just ugly.

I use Tap water with Prime adding the approrpriate amount of salt for water changes. Any suggestions???

Use RODI water for your saltwater and top offs. Do water changes 2 times a week and siphon out the brown stuff when doing those water changes.

What your tank is going through is totally normal for a 2 month old tank. When tanks are first set up, they will usually cycle through three or four different stages of algae. There isn't much you can do about it except keep your water quality up and be patient. Tap water will only make it worse, you should be using RODI water, which you can buy at any grocery store or Walmart, fish store, or you can make your own at home from an RODI unit.

Do you have a good cleaner crew? The right inverts will help. Make sure you are doing water changes (10 to 20% once every week or two).

I will go buy Reverse Osmosis water from local store or Wal-mart. Once I purchase the RO water how do I go about prepping it for my tank. Do I still need to use Prime? I obviously will add the approrpriate amount of Salt but do I still add the Prime.

No need to add prime...I myself only add ph buffer to my RO water to bring the ph up to 8.2....
like mentioned earlier, that is just new tank syndrome your tank is going thru...just be patient, it'll go away.:D

If you buy RODI water, you just need to add salt, nothing else. Let it mix overnight before adding it to your tank, because it can take that long for the salinity and pH to level out.

OK, what does RODI stand for...Reverse Osmosis DI?

Is there anything specific I should ask when looking for the RODI water? But my guess is that the average employee won't be too knowledgeable about their different types of water.

I have been battleing Bronw alga for about 5 months now My skimmer is not up to par I have a new one for my new tank when we move but it won't fit into my system that I have now my tank looks like CRAP!!

Back