Brown Algae?

RedTornado

Reefing newb
I am just starting to get this brown fizzy stuff all over my rock. I am thinking it is brown algae. I have done some reading on what I need to do to get rid of it I just want to be sure I understand what I need to do before it gets out of control.

I am going to be buying a phosphate reactor and putting some type of phosphate removal filter media in it. Any suggestions on brand names or types of media?

Other wise it is my understanding that all i have to do is water changes and of course use RO water.

Am I on the right track?
Thanks!

Your tank is fairly new, right? It sounds like you have diatoms growing. Diatoms feed off of silicates in the water and if your tank is new there are tons of silicates in it. A phosphate reactor will help with other types of altars you're going to encounter down the road but, this algae will run it's course in about a month.

If you still are interested in getting a reactor you should look at bulk reef supply. They have good products as well as good customer service/support.

Yes it is a new tank. All thats in the tank right know is 2 clown fish for about a week.

Pretty much once the diatoms eat most of the silicates they will just die off? Meaning I really don't have to do anything?

You can put a small cleaning crew to help with the diatoms but yes, after a time they will go away. Every new tank gets them.

How long has your tank been setup? It sounds like Diatoms to me, although we can't say for sure without pics...Diatoms go away on their own, its a part of the cycling process. Nothing to worry about. They're ugly but harmless.

Here are some pictures.

Attachments

• DSC01742.JPG
    DSC01742.JPG
    57.3 KB · Views: 5,040
  • DSC01743.JPG
    DSC01743.JPG
    36.5 KB · Views: 1,098
How long has your tank been setup? It sounds like Diatoms to me, although we can't say for sure without pics...Diatoms go away on their own, its a part of the cycling process. Nothing to worry about. They're ugly but harmless.

The tank as been up and running since the start of december. Last week it finally got done with the cycle and the ammonia, nitrite and nitrate are all at 0.

When I first filled the tank I did fill it with tap water but since I have been using RO water for the water changes and plan to keep doing so. I have never tested the phosphate levels. Since i did use tap water I am expecting to have some sort of a algae problem from it.

Is a phosphate reactor something good to have or is it just another funky gadget that really isn't needed? I am asking all of you this because I know if I walk into my LFS they will say yes just to sell me something.

Thanks!

Yep, those are diatoms. And if you keep up with the RODI water changes and pull what algae you do see growing out when you do water changes you should be able to avoid major issues. If you do continue to see issues then i would invest in a phosphate reactor.

If it bothers you that much you can hit it with a tooth brush that and siphon it right out make sure to turn all pumps off, so its suspended and easy to suck out, but for the most part they should just go away themselves tricky diatoms :)

Back