Brown Algea? Diatoms

RIJohn

Reefing newb
I have noticed in the last 24hrs that my tank is starting to grow brown algea, the two spots where it is grow are my powerheads. Some on the glass but just on the power heads. I have two Koralia 4 for flow in a 90 Gallon set at seperate sides in the back pushing the water forward. No real dead spots in the tanks, my return line comes out and splits point downward for one and the other towrads the front right corner.

Will this clear on its own?

If not what should do to rid myself of them?

All my water tests appear good

Amonia 0
Nitrites 0
Nitrates 10 or less some color change but very subtle
Salintiy 1.025
Ph 8.0

Sounds like your going through the regular algae cycle. They'll clear up on their own. I'd do a water change to help out. You want your nitrates to be 0.

That's normal for a tank at the 1 month mark. There's nothing you can do to avoid the algae cycle of a new tank. Keeping up with water quality will help, as will not overfeeding and getting a good clean up crew. But, mostly time will do the trick. Also, don't use tap water. Use RODI water only. It sounds like you've got good flow.

Well just finished a 10% water change. Waiting for Richard to get off vacation so I can order my second batch of rock and get my CUC. As of right now I have to many snails to count, if you count the babies.

Sounds like your going through the regular algae cycle. They'll clear up on their own. I'd do a water change to help out. You want your nitrates to be 0.

As for nitrates I have two test kits, one liquid and a quick test strip. Test strip reads like 5 or less and liquid barely and I mean barely changes color.

I only use RO for the system.

Back