brown hair algae

Butch 36

Reefing newb
I have brown long stringy algae groing on only one big rock right now..yesterday I brushed it off so the prefilter overflow box could catch it.Well today when I got back from work, it was back...Is this hair algae that will turn green..and what should I do..The list on the bottom is what i have in my tank right now
Thanks alot...

Its cyno bacteria. Its from having to high of phospates most likely, which is caused from dirty water (over feeding, not enough water changes etc.) You can go to your LFS and buy a cyno bacteria killer that will clear it up in a few days. Then for about $50 I would get a phosban reacter from Two Little Fish to help keep the phosphates down. Hope that helps.

If the stuff more slimming than standard algae it could be cyno.The stuff that Chris mention will work to help remove it.Chemi clean would be my choice.Are running a sump or refugium.If it a sump you might thank about going to a fudge with sand and macro to help with phosphates and nitrates

I have a sump that I bought,It's fiberglass,,I would guess its about 30 gal.It has the slide out tray for the prefilter ..and I also have a coralife 150 skimmer in the sump..The brown stuff is long and skinny,about 3 to 4 in.long and they have ,,looks like air bubbles on them..I'm gonna try cutting down on the light time..I think I am running them to long.. and do you think chemi clean will work for this?

Back