Brown hair algae...?

Jojo1628

Reefing newb
My tank just recently started growing some brown colored hair algae...my parameter has been very good and using RO water...never did this happen before, also I noticed that the surface water is collecting bubbles that don't pop, looks kinda dirty on the surface...I have my skimmer on 24/7, 155 watts of lighting on for 7-9 hours a day, temp set at 79...anyway I can clear this up?

this sounds more like cyano algae. I would increase water changes for a few weeks. If you want you can also get phosphate remover to help speed it up. Also, try to remove as much of the algae as you can.

+1 Game
It'll help to leave the lights off for 3 or 4 days to.Cyano dies out quick when it dont have any light.

I also have some chaeto as well in my refugium...I've tested phosphate at 0 too...if I turn off the lights, my corals and other fish won't be able to eat, can they last for 3-4 days?

i tried that before and when the lights are out, they just hide around the rocks or just stay on the bottom and won't come up.

It wont hurt them to go without food for 3 or 4 days.Matter of fact,mine only get fed one a week.The rest of the time their picking the pods and algae off the rocks.
But your fish are doing whats natural when the lights are off.

yote is right they can easily handle 3 days but dont worry, they will eat food even if lights are off, maybe not from top but they will find pods or floating food, especially if you have nocturnal fish like cardinals, etc.

Back