Brown Jelly Disease

The best thing to do is cut away the infected parts, and hope to save the rest.

It normally only effects LPS corals and it can spread in a tank.

So do I cut the skeleton?

Can I use an iodine dip?

Can brown jelly persist without lps corals or do they need a "host?"

Why is parts of the flesh white?

Is brown jelly supposed to stick to the coral?

Sorry for so many questions, but I am really desperate.

I would cut away the dead/dying parts, but i dont think you can cut through a head, you can only separate the different heads. Then i would do an iodine dip. the protozoa that are thought to cause some of the cases of brown jelly disease can persist without a host.

And the brown jelly is the tissue dying, not what is causing the brown jelly. And i have no idea why your hammer is turning white.

A picture would be very helpful. Also did the coral get damaged at all? Like something falling on it, rough handling when you bought it etc?

+1 lil fish...usually when a coral get it, if you don't catch and treat it fast, the coral usually dies. Best bet is to cut the infected part and do a iodine dip and hope for the best. Good luck.

Here's a pic

Attachments

• photo-5.jpg
    photo-5.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 13,810
+1 lil fish...usually when a coral get it, if you don't catch and treat it fast, the coral usually dies. Best bet is to cut the infected part and do a iodine dip and hope for the best. Good luck.

The problem is that my hammer is not branching and is hard to frag.

If you see the brown jelly getting the best of the coral, it's best to take it out before it affects the other corals you may have...if you see some of it lose in the tank, try removing ite by siphoning it out before it settles. My torch was starting to develop it, and instead of seeing what will happen with it, I tossed it in the garbage, instead of taking a chance with my other corals.

So can it affect all lps? Even Tubastrea/Dendros?

Can brown jelly infect a healthy coral, or does something have to damage it first?

So can it affect all lps? Even Tubastrea/Dendros?

Can brown jelly infect a healthy coral, or does something have to damage it first?

Yes...it affects all lps's. And it's contagious, it can accidentally blow from an infected coral to a healthy one, and infect it too.

If you see any necrotic tissue, you can use airline tubing to siphon off the dead/necrotic tissue and give the coral a bath with an Iodine solution like TM Pro Coral Cure or similar product. The iodine will act as an antiseptic and hopefully kill prevent the spread of the tissue necrosis.

Back