Brown Stringy Algae

BryanS

Reefing newb
I need a little help before this problem gets to out of control. I can't get a clear picture picture of it, but when the lights first turn on I cant really see it but it quickly turns brown, it also seems to be growing mainly on my corals, it is causing a couple of them to stay closed.

all my parameters are good, my trates are a little high, but I have been doing 5 gallon water changes every week (29 gallon tank).

can someone tell me what kind of algae it is and how to stop it please?

Is it stringy, like snot, with air bubbles trapped in it? If so, that sounds like dinoflagellates. A black out for several days is the best way to deal with dinos. Raising your pH also works, but that's more difficult to control than a black out.

yea kinda like snot, but def air bubbles...so will the blackout hurt any of my corals or should they be fine?

The corals will be fine -- I'd start with a 3 day blackout and see if that gets rid of them. Dinos are toxic if eaten, so have you seen any of your CUC or herbivores go belly up?

actually yea my biggest turbo died for no reason (atleast i was thinking)

could that be the reason my dendros are not coming out becasue it is on them kinda bad?

Back