Brown stuff in overflow?

phastroh

Do Not Listen To Me!!!
Yeah it is brown and on the glass but it looks like little hair things. It is only on the glass in the overflo area of the drilled tank.

I have had my UV going for about a week so far.

I just went and looked and it is actually more green and looks like individual small plants but not plants with leaves. Sort of hairy little things but it didn't look like hair algae I could find.

I was not coming off with the scrubber so easily but it is wavy not hardened.

I also felt green slimy stuff where the water goes over the overflo. I guess I should get that off also.

Again I do not see any of this in the main tank.

I tried to take a pic but I can't with my phone in focus with the room I have.

Does it look like this? If so thats called diatoms and its part of a new tank that is cycling it does go away after a few weeks.

ambersunrise-albums-fraggle-reef-picture922-diatom-bloom.jpg

It is slimy where the water enters the overflow but the stuff on the glass in the overflow isn't.

I would guess it isn't in the tank because I have about 15 snails 20 hermits 4 or 5 black urchins a tiger goby some stars and like 5 porcelain crabs and 2 are huge.

My live rock seemed hairyish and then in one week it was all clean like new they mowed it all down.

I hardly have to clean the glass.

I will try to snap a good pic tomorrow after work. I just now installed my in sump refugium with mini water pump to house my chaeto and a few rock pieces. I also installed my timers finally after a month and so now I feel like I can finally stop looking at all the stuff. I put a bank korila pump under my sump.socks in the first chamber of my Aqueon Proflex Sump model 2. Man I need smaller hands.

So check tomorrow and I may have pix.

Just looks like a hairy thing haha but all separate.

Well my brothers friend says all new tanks get an algae bloom but this tank is 6 weeks and 4 days into being put together and no real bloom.

It is still cycling and I think it will take a long time to finish because I got my rocks from TBS and my sand and I don't think the 1st cycle was completely finished when I put in the second part of the package.

It started as the 80 pounds of sand then 80 pounds of dry and 40 live rock.

I then added the 40 live to finish off the rock then at the same time I put in all the sponges(most since removed) and like 20 snail, 20 hermits, 2 starfish the Tiger Goby, the 2 Anemones and so Porcelain crabs and 2 are huge. I also have a small Gorilla/Stone issue.

During this time I have fed the Anemones shrimp and I am pretty sure the crew has be taking poos in their so my numbers have been like .1 Ammonia, .2 Nitrites and 50 nitrates for like 3 weeks or longer.

I slapped in Chaeto and took my sand out of the refugium. I got a hanging in tank refugium and put in in the sump to hold the chaeto and some rocks and put the rest of the rocks under in the the same chamber, The water now waterfalls on top of the hanging refugium and there is a small pump the blow water through it as well so there is magor circulation as well as the 3 powerheads in the tank. I have to install the 3rd Aqueon in there and they are the 1250's.

Anyway it is still fun to watch the action but I want to get fish but can't boooooo,

Yup, hair algae brother. Get used to it. In my tank, it only grows inside the overflow boxes. As long as it isn't hurting anything, I leave it, except for the occasional hair cut every other week.

It's not going to hurt anything in the overflow. Heck, it actually removes nutrients from the water so it's helping in some small way. You can leave it or pull it out.

Oh I have this kind on my fresh tank where the filter flows into the tank. I just scrape it off when I do maintenace when it gets to long. Its never spread to the tank just in the flow of the filter.

Ok so I found a few little pieces in the tank now but it just so happens at the same time my Nitrites have for the first time started going down to .1 from .2 thankfully and hopefully my first fish will be coming soon.

With that I have noticed a lot of brown spots popping up everywhere just like most tanks that cycle get. Well mine is almost 2 months into cycling and finally they are appearing.

Recently I changed my sump sponge and have had a lot of debris from chasing crabs and removing rock flying around but the ammonia has not gone up.

I have also added that Nano powerhead to the first chamber of my Proflex sump and the bottom has stayed very clean.

Back