BRS 2part w/ mag dosing

Has anyone else used or is using this? I have tried Kent Calcium Reactor liquid and it worked but the amount that it took I was going to go broke. Then I went to a Kalk drip, that was ok as far as the cost but the tinkering with the drip everyday and it getting clogged (biggest issue for me), plus after all the tinkering I still have to deal with the other levels of the tank.

One of the reasons this dosing method stood out to me is it seems to be an all in one and I can easily automate it with timers and small pumps once I figure out the amount my take will need, the clogging shouldn't be as big of an issue because they totally dissolve. I am going on vacation in April and would like to have an automated system before I leave, yes I will have a tank/dog/lizard/snake/frog sitter but I don't expect them do dose the tank with all of the other animals in the house.

i use the BRS two part with mag. but i just test and add myself when needed. i dont use any dosing pumps just because i dont have the money for them but it is by far cheaper using the BRS 2-part than buying the other crap i got the starteer pack and have had it for about a year and still have enough left to make 1 more gal of cal and alk. i will order it again but i will get the big one this time and i bet that will last for a long time and at only 60 buck to make 8 gal or cal and alk it is a great price difference as to buying the other cal and alk suplements

I also use BRS 2-part in my tank. Like daugherty don't use any dosing pumps. I just test and dose accordingly on a regular basis. When I bought it my MAG was real low so I bought large kit but still have plenty left. Getting my Mag & ALK in check did wonders for stabilizing my pH.

I use the 2 part stuff, but I didn't get any of it from BRS. I was able to get the calcium chloride (DowFlake ice melt) and magnesium chloride (MagFlake ice melt) locally. If you can't get either locally, it's a good deal ordering from BRS. To save even more $ and save on shipping, you can buy the sodium bicarbonate (Arm & Hammer baking soda) or sodium carbonate (Arm & Hammer baking soda that you bake in your oven for 1 hr @375) from your local grocery store. You can also buy the magnesium sulfate (Epsom salts) from your local pharmacy.

OK I now have been dosing my tank with The Kit for a little over a week and its great. I have them set up in the with the pumps from BRS (1oz squirts) the kit comes with 2 I bought the 3rd separately. There is a short video on BRS so really anyone can mix the stuff up once you mix them up they have to sit over night before use.

I would recommend this product to ANYONE it is very easy to use and very affordable! This is one thing I wish I would have done from the start would have saved me a lot of time and $. It really has take the guessing game out of dosing my tank I am not a chemist but I understand this.

I am guessing that my system is 60g total I use the BRS calculator to figure out how much to start dosing but its not that hard to figure it out after a few days.

12/23 (PM)
PH: 8.0
ALK: 12
MAG: 1150 Added 3 (1oz) squirts Retest 30min 1200
CAL: 380 Added 3 (1oz) squirts Retest 30min 400

12/24 (AM)
PH: 8.2
MAG: 1150 Added 6 (1oz) squirts Retest 30min 1250
CAL: 400 Added 3 (1oz) squirts Retest 30min 420

12/25 (NOON)
PH: 8 added air stone to sump
MAG: 1250 Added 6 (1oz) squirts Retest 30min 1400
CAL: 420 Added 3 (1oz) squirts Retest 30min 480

12/26 (AM)
ALK: 13
MAG: 1350
CAL: 480

12/27 (pm) LIghts off
CAL: 460

12/28 (noon)
CAL: 460

12/29 (PM)
MAG: 1300 Added 3 (1oz) squirts Retest 30min 1350
CAL: 420

changed aquascaping 12/30-12/31 just tested for mini cycles none :) Also did a 10% water change 12/31.

1/1 (PM)
MAG: 1230 Added 3 (1oz) squirts Retest 30min 1300
CAL: 420 Added 3 (1oz) squirts Retest 30min 420

Last edited:
What salt are you using? You may want to cut down on the alk. 13 dKH is VERY high and can burn many SPS corals. I personally keep my alk around 9 which is alot closer to natural seawater.

I am using IO it was high because I had been trying to keep my PH up it is 10 today. Since I have put the air stone in my PH has been pretty stable at 8.0/8.2. :) Yes I normally like it about 9 or 10.

Back