"bruise" on goby

Alexander

Reef enthusiast
so I made the smart decision to put a orange spotted goby in my tank the day before I left town for 4 days. this morning before I left I was doing a tank inspection before I turned the easy stuff to keep my fish alive to my roommate and my goby wasn't moving much at all. when he did move I noticed bruise looking spots on its belly by the fins and such. I. really worried cause he just sits there and you can barely even notice his gills moving... but they were a little bit. I was wondering if any of this is in anyway normal being as its my first goby or if I should worry.. the last thing I want is it dying and killing all my livestock with a rotting body, so I told my roommate to pay extra close attention to it. also I don't know if its harmful for the fish but I have not heard anything, he spent a lot of the night on TOP of a brittle star. thanks

Do you have any crabs in your tank?

And if he does die he won't poision your tank. Scavengers will take care of him. But lets pray that he pulls through.

yes I do have hermits. and 1 pom pom. hopefully they are not abusing him..... though the same thing happened to one of my firefish I had. I'm curious if the crabs are pinching him. I am going to add garlic to my tank when I get home tomorrow to hopefully help heal him. from what I have been told over the last few days he is still alive and doing fine.

my watchman goby has a natural coloring on his bottom side. it sort of appears to look like a bruise because it's purple looking and more noticeable when he turns at just the right angle.

I guess this could be true.... but I really don't remember him looking this way when I picked him up from my LFS. seemed to just be a fluid color

Back