bryopsis problem

LOSTTAC

Reefing newb
can anyone tell me how to rid of this problem. ive been manually removing it but it seems to come back in its original spot and spread to another. is there any live stock that would eat it because my algae blenny doesnt touch it. i have a 9watt uv light to help contain it but it reappears. i want to get rid of it before it becomes a major problem. i have about 6 small spot that its growing on.

I read on ReefCentral that you can raise magnesium and it will help kill it. Look at rc and see what you think. I think the raised it to 1600ppm. Do it slowly and they sad there will be no problems.

Water quality leads to algae problems, so instead of removing it (it will just grow back), you need to address your water quality so that it goes away on its own.

Nitrates and phosphates are probably contributing. What are those parameters testing at? Even if phosphates are at 0, they can still cause algae problems just because the algae is consuming the phosphate as quickly as it's being produced.

If I were you, I'd run a phophate removal media like PhosGuard, PhosBan or RowaPhos.

What kind of water are you using for top off and water changes? Using tap water will lead to algae problems. Use only RODI water.

Are you feeding pellets or flakes? If so, switch to frozen food only. Pellets and flakes contain ash which leads to algae problems as well.

As for animals to clean your rocks for you, I've found that sea hares are your best bet. They will devour algae like it's going out of style. And really quickly too. If you buy a sea hare, make sure you are able to bring it back to the store when it's done cleaning your tank, as they will starve to death without enough algae.

Back