Bryopsis :(

RockStacker

Reefing newb
Just when it looks like things are starting to settle down on my aquarium after the move, bryopsis has reared its ugly head.
Looks like I am going to have a rock scrubbing party this weekend :(

For some strange reason water quality has not been an issue at my old house and I can just air it out overnight in a bucket and it is ready for mixing.

The water supply at the new place: 0.5ppm ammonia right out of the tap!
So I have to treat the water first before I can even start mixing salt.

I am now looking to invest in an affordable RO/DI unit.
Since the new house is just a rental, I cannot install the RO equipment permanently.

For the RO unit, I highly recommend getting this thing

John Guest Angle Stop Valve 3/8" x 3/8" 1/4 push connect - English

It installs between the shut-off valve on the sink and the hose going up to the faucet. Takes about 5 minutes with a pair of wrenches. You get a clean install with the added bonus of not having to pierce the water lines.

Or you can get a faucet flow diverter.

Chrome Faucet Diverter Valve - English

That will screw onto a standard faucet after you remove the original aerator.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Has anyone set up the RO/DI equipment outdoors?
I don't have enough room in the kitchen, and the garage has no nearby water supply.
I am thinking of setting up storage shelves at the back of the house where I can have room for the RO/DI equipment plus the holding tanks.
I can also have additional storage tanks for the discarded water so I can use those to water the yard and garden.
I could also build a simple cabinet to protect the equipment from sun exposure if that is an issue.

Another question:
Can you use the cleaned water from an RO/DI unit for drinking water as well? or are reef RO/DI units different from the regular drinking RO units?

Thanks

In my area, I would not have the option of setting up outdoors. It freezes in the winter. However, your being in California, it might not be a problem for you. I don't think it would cause any harm it being outdoors.

As for the safety of drinking, there is debate on if DI water is safe to drink. I believe that if you put a t-fitting in line between the last section of the RO filter and the DI section. There you have straight RO water that hasn't been through the DI resin yet. I believe that this wouldn't be any different than a household RO unit. But don't hold me to it:mrgreen:

In my area, I would not have the option of setting up outdoors. It freezes in the winter. However, your being in California, it might not be a problem for you. I don't think it would cause any harm it being outdoors.

As for the safety of drinking, there is debate on if DI water is safe to drink. I believe that if you put a t-fitting in line between the last section of the RO filter and the DI section. There you have straight RO water that hasn't been through the DI resin yet. I believe that this wouldn't be any different than a household RO unit. But don't hold me to it:mrgreen:

Thanks for that idea. I will have to research that further.
My understanding is that the RO/DI water does not have anything harmful, but also is void of the nutrients that you need from water.
So in a roundabout way, it causes harm long term if you live on RO/DI water exclusively?
But it would not be an issue if people have a balanced diet to begin with, right?

Anyway, back to the immediate threat: I got to get myself psyched up for my battle with bryopsis.

You aren't supposed to drink RODI water because it is too pure -- it will strip electrolytes and minerals from your mouth, throat, esophagus, etc. You can, however, drink RO water. That's why the household units do not have a DI stage, only RO.

I keep my rodi under my sink and then just pull it out and attach it to my kitchen sink for a few hours about once a week and that's been just fine for me. I've survived w/o having it hooked up permanently anywhere.

Back