Bryopsis :(

Discussion in 'Algae' started by RockStacker, Jun 15, 2012.

1. RockStacker

RockStacker

Just when it looks like things are starting to settle down on my aquarium after the move, bryopsis has reared its ugly head.
    Looks like I am going to have a rock scrubbing party this weekend :(

For some strange reason water quality has not been an issue at my old house and I can just air it out overnight in a bucket and it is ready for mixing.

The water supply at the new place: 0.5ppm ammonia right out of the tap!
    So I have to treat the water first before I can even start mixing salt.

I am now looking to invest in an affordable RO/DI unit.
    Since the new house is just a rental, I cannot install the RO equipment permanently.

RockStacker, Jun 15, 2012
    1. Advertisements

2. RockStacker

sen5241b

You can use high mag till kill Bryopsis.

sen5241b, Jun 15, 2012
    RockStacker likes this.
    1. Advertisements

3. RockStacker

bjohanson1234 .........

For the RO unit, I highly recommend getting this thing

John Guest Angle Stop Valve 3/8" x 3/8" 1/4 push connect - English

It installs between the shut-off valve on the sink and the hose going up to the faucet. Takes about 5 minutes with a pair of wrenches. You get a clean install with the added bonus of not having to pierce the water lines.

Or you can get a faucet flow diverter.

Chrome Faucet Diverter Valve - English

That will screw onto a standard faucet after you remove the original aerator.

bjohanson1234, Jun 15, 2012
  4. RockStacker

RockStacker

Thanks for the suggestions.

Has anyone set up the RO/DI equipment outdoors?
    I don't have enough room in the kitchen, and the garage has no nearby water supply.
    I am thinking of setting up storage shelves at the back of the house where I can have room for the RO/DI equipment plus the holding tanks.
    I can also have additional storage tanks for the discarded water so I can use those to water the yard and garden.
    I could also build a simple cabinet to protect the equipment from sun exposure if that is an issue.

Another question:
    Can you use the cleaned water from an RO/DI unit for drinking water as well? or are reef RO/DI units different from the regular drinking RO units?

Thanks

5. RockStacker

bjohanson1234 .........

In my area, I would not have the option of setting up outdoors. It freezes in the winter. However, your being in California, it might not be a problem for you. I don't think it would cause any harm it being outdoors.

As for the safety of drinking, there is debate on if DI water is safe to drink. I believe that if you put a t-fitting in line between the last section of the RO filter and the DI section. There you have straight RO water that hasn't been through the DI resin yet. I believe that this wouldn't be any different than a household RO unit. But don't hold me to it:mrgreen:

bjohanson1234, Jun 15, 2012
    RockStacker likes this.
  6. RockStacker

RockStacker

Thanks for that idea. I will have to research that further.
    My understanding is that the RO/DI water does not have anything harmful, but also is void of the nutrients that you need from water.
    So in a roundabout way, it causes harm long term if you live on RO/DI water exclusively?
    But it would not be an issue if people have a balanced diet to begin with, right?

Anyway, back to the immediate threat: I got to get myself psyched up for my battle with bryopsis.

7. RockStacker

Bifferwine I am a girl

You aren't supposed to drink RODI water because it is too pure -- it will strip electrolytes and minerals from your mouth, throat, esophagus, etc. You can, however, drink RO water. That's why the household units do not have a DI stage, only RO.

Bifferwine, Jun 16, 2012
  8. RockStacker

FishyReef Broke Reefer!

I keep my rodi under my sink and then just pull it out and attach it to my kitchen sink for a few hours about once a week and that's been just fine for me. I've survived w/o having it hooked up permanently anywhere.

FishyReef, Jun 16, 2012
  9. RockStacker

RockStacker

Thanks everyone!

I went ahead and ordered this from BRS:
    75 GPD RO/DI 5 Stage *PLUS* System - English

I'll figure out the setup later on as I use it.
    I'm guessing I won't need to run it a lot for my 55gal so I can get away with running it on the sink just when I need it.

RockStacker, Jun 16, 2012
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question