BTA gone wild!! Help please.

krazydy

Reefing newb
Hi all, I bought a small BTA 2 days ago and i placed it on the highest rock in the tank and it was ther for like 2 days untill i found it this mornig it moved under a natural rock bridge in the back of the tank. The lights i have now it the original 24w nano cube lights. I figuerd it should be ok being that there is only about 7-9 gallons of water due to the sand and rock work... Why would it hide under the rock work? Could it be becuase in the LFS i found it the BTA was on the sand and not on rocks and it was happy there hosting a clown before i got it. What do you guys & gals think, should I put out and get a 70W metal halide sunpod or will it be ok with my current lighting? will that help it come out and open up the way it should?

Last edited:
It will move around until it finds a place it likes. It may hide for a few days, even a week. (Mine hid for about a week when I first got it). After it gets of the initial shock and stress, it should come out. Just make sure there's nothing it can get sucked into (filters, powerheads).

The tank is clear of powerheads, I only use the minijet900 that replaced the stock nanocube powerhead for the 12g. So do you think that the BTA will survive with the stock 24w 50/50? Or Should i switch to a sunpod 70w metal halide?

My BTA has been under the same rock it went under the day I got it ( about a month ago ) It expands its self real good and my seba clown seems to love it. As long as its healthy and growing,,,it can stay where ever it wants

what about the lights? will it be ok with the nano cubes stock 24w 50/50? I figuerd wit would be ok since there is only really 7 gallons in the display area wich gives it a ratio of about 3.5 wats per gallon. Will it be enough or should i just go pick up a sunpod 70w metal halide and go topless?

I'm not sure about the light,but seems to me that it would move up closer to the top where it could get more light if it wasn't getting enough,just dont quote me that cause im still a newbie.

Finally got my new K2 Viper 70w yesterday and my corlas looooooove it! Never have i seen them open the way they did. I thought I was going to have a heating problem but nope... tank stays @ a Cool 77 deg. on and 76 deg. off. . and love the 14k bulb but placed an order for a new 20k bulb. Any thoughts on the benefits of the 20k Bulb ?

Just my opinion, 20K may be a bit too blue. if you want a deep water effect then you should get it with the 20 K. good luck keep us posted.

Back