BTA - Help!

AundriaM

Reefing newb
Hi all, I added a BTA to my tank on Saturday and it has been doing great - I thought. It has stayed swelled up and ate krill last night. All of the sudden it deflated and "fell" into a hole in the LR that it had been hanging out on. It is normally a reddish color (not a rose though) and now it looks like limp lime green spaghetti. This happened about 10 minutes ago - any ideas? I understand these guys can crash a system if they're not happy and I'm wondering if I should pull the rock out (I would soooo rather not take this step). Specs are: 55 gal w/ T5's (216 watts), Nitrate 0, Nitrite 0, Ammonia 0, Ph 8.2, Cal 400, dhk 3.5, temp 78 - 79.

TIA!

After they eat, they will shrink up. Leave it be. They will move around if they're not happy, so if it's not getting enough light in the hole it's in, it will move to a better place.

Biff and Rc's right.BTA's will shrink up after they eat.It should be fine,just leave it alone.It'll take a good healthy dump then it'll be right back to its full inflated self.

Thanks all, I apprecite the replies. It has since swelled back up and is moving up and out of the hole. LOL, now that it is on the move I will have something new to obsess over :D Good to know they do this after eating - I'll try not to freak out next time.

keep an eye on it. if it moves around a lot, it can sting your other corals. Once it sits down in one spot, gently move the corals away from it and give it some room to swell up. you know they are in trouble when they lose color, shrivel up and lay on the substrate. as long as they are sticking to the rock, it is fine

-Doc

Back