Bta ?

coralhead

Reef Geek Status
Can any tell me what signs an anenome shows (if any) before its ready to split. its currently very healthy and six to eight inches in diameter.moves very little from his rock and has a big appetite. I've been told the increase in appetite may be a sign. Thanks for any info!

You're welcome. I'm going to get a new one (someday). But I think I'll have to do a lot of water changes before I feel comfortable with a new one.

Biff what did your bta die from? I want to add one. I talked to a fellow reefer that came over, and he said there one of the easier one to have, that they can take the phos and other stuff more than other anemones.

I'm not too sure, my best guess was the AZNO3 I was adding to my tank, as the anemone was fine up until I started adding it, and even split once just a few weeks before it died, and I had heard a few stories of the AZNO3 killing bubble tips. From what I read and what people told me, BTAs are the "easiest" of the anemones.

Any notice of movement before your bta split? Mine has relocated several times in the past but has recently became very fond of one particular spot.

Nope it didn't move, I did notice it hiding a little bit more, so when it started to split it was like, "SURPRISE!". Bobby, AZNO3 is "Absolute Zero Nitrate", these drops that you add to the tank that are supposedly reef safe that will bring nitrates down to 0 within 30 days. Well, I dosed at less than what they recommended for a tank my size, it didn't hurt anything else in my tank, and my nitrates were 0 within two weeks, but unfortunately the BTA didn't make it... I had read that BTAs and clams seemed to be sensitive to the AZNO3 though beforehand, I still thought I'd give it a shot. My nitrates have stayed at 0 since then, I did change my feeding too (no more flakes, frozen only).

coralhead said:
Can any tell me what signs an anenome shows (if any) before its ready to split. its currently very healthy and six to eight inches in diameter.moves very little from his rock and has a big appetite. I've been told the increase in appetite may be a sign. Thanks for any info!
And here is what you dont want to know....
An anemone split is the way of the anemone reproducing however it only splits under stressful situations or poor water quality its is the anemones way of increasing its chance for survival rate for more info on this go to AnemoneReproFAQs

Not necessarily... Many people say that their anemones only split when happy, like if they feed them a lot and water quality is consistently high.

How do they know that there happy? Are they sitting under the halides with shades on, holding tentacles, singing coombya? :D No really did you check out the link there those guys are "Dr.s"

I'm just saying that I've ready plenty of things that say anemones will also split when conditions are good. I will be a Dr. too in a year, that doesn't mean I know everything.

Back