Bta ?

yote

In Memoriam
How can I tell if my BTA is trying to split?I would post a pic,but its crawled back in the rock to where all I can see is about 1/4 of its foot.But the part I can see looks like a good sized blister on it.
Its all opened up,with big green bubble tips right now,but every 2 to 3 hours it shrivles up,this has been going on since tuesday.
I'll go ahead and post my parameters just for kicks:
ammonia-0
nitrite-0
nitrate-0
PH-8.3
Phosphate-0
calcium-460
alk-12DKH
temp-80 with lights on 79.5 lights out

When mine split, I was able to tell by looking at the mouth, it looked pinched in the middle and it looked like it was breaking in half. It didn't "act" different though, like shriveling up more than normal.

Yote sorry I don't know much about anemones.I've heard ,anemones and other corals reproduce for two reasons.One when they are doing well and two when they are about to die/dieing.Sort of a last ditch effort for survival of the species.Hopefully its not that.

Your alk might be causing a bit of a problem for your little guy. Has it gone up in the last couple weeks? I normally run my tank about 8.1-8.3 for alk about the same as my PH. Just a thought.

Nope Squibley,My alk is right there in the normal range for my tank.Its always some where from 10 to 12DKH,usually at 12.

So much about this hobby is patience. There is no exact science with a lot of the livestock in our tanks. When my BTA split (and it split into three pieces) it was a total mystery to me. One day one piece just crawled away fromt the other one and another, smaller part wandered off as well. They walked around my tank for about a week before setting down right next to each other - all three of them. I think of my tank as a toaster. The more I look and wait for something to happen, the longer it takes. Like my Koran changing into its adult phase colors. It seems to take forever. I stopped looking for a week and his face "magically" has changed. Good luck.

-Dr Marco :sfish:

sorry cant help on this one yote...spliting has never ocurred yet in my tank..but i have 3 kind of anemones in my tank and somtimes they make like bubble shapes in the middle..near the " mouth"..or the tentacles somtimes are long..others short..bubble like etc..i hope yours is cloning itself..ill be awsome...good luck...

Back