Bubble Algae-Help

zippyjr123

Reefing newb
Well as I was adding some new coral to my tank yesterday I moved some rocks around and I found this hard ,round, dark green ball on my rock which also holds my pulsing xenia. I looked it up on line and it looks like bubble algae, how do I get rid of it? Do I take the rock out and pull it off?
Thanks
Rose

Emerald crabs are awesome, they specifically target bubble algae oftentimes. Plus they'll take care of any other algae you have. They're cool and reef safe. I wouldn't remove it by hand, if you accidentally pop it, it will spread spores all over the tank.

Take the rock out and rock the bubble back and forth gently til it comes off.(Boy that did sound quite right!)You don't want the bubble algae to burst inside the DT,it would only help it spread further.IMO,emeralds are a hit or miss,my three never touches it.

Now if I take the rock out and remove it would I wash off the place it sits on? The rock also has my pulsing xenia on it. so if I don't remove it what can happen? If I get the green emerald crab and it doesn't eat it then I will have to get it out some how. I don't even know how I got it.:shock:

No,don't wash the area unless the bubble pops.If it does pop,then rinse it off with saltwater.If you don't remove them they they will spread,try a emerald,maybe you'll have luck with them.

Emerald crabs also worked for me. Do watch it if you have very small fish though....I've got one with claws and one without. Think the two fought and one lost! He now uses his feet to eat...kinda funny to watch....been that way for months.

if you take out the rock and remove the bubble by hand, your xenia will be okay to come out of the water for a minute. If you pull it off successfully without popping it be sure to throw it at someone and watch it explode . :) Bubble algae fights are fun.

that is yucky. great advice thus far. I have also hear that some species of tangs will also eat the bubble algae. Have any of you hear this as well?

-Dr Marco :sfish:

Never heard of tangs eating them... But many tangs are opportunistic and would probably nibble on it. I don't know if they would continue to eat it after tasting, though.

emeralds will eat fish like gobies,clowns,and six lines if they get a chance but if you have large fish he wont harm it.they get more agressive as they grow like the sallys .get some ceirth snails theyll eat anything.

Back