Bubble Algae

FishyReef

Broke Reefer!
Discovered I've got bubble algae popping up all over the place. Never had a problem with it before, but guessing a spore came in on a coral and now its beginning to show. What is my best option for getting rid of it? I used to have an emerald crab, but I don't think he's still alive 'cause I haven't seen him in weeks. Some of the bubbles are on frags that I can pull out of the tank and then do my best to remove the bubble w/o popping it, but there are a few others that are in places in my rocks that are going to be hard to remove - I'll try my best though! Should I pick up another emerald crab? Is there something else that will help control this stuff? Thanks!

I think you would have to get a couple for them to do anything. Mine only seems to pick at chaeto and pineapple sponge, while he sits his butt on bubbles -.-

Oooo, yours eats pineapple sponges? Been having trouble with those growing on my trumpet coral all of a sudden. You know, maybe I've had the bubble algae and sponges all along, but am only now seeing them if my emerald crab truly is gone. Maybe he was controlling them before and I just didn't know it! I'm a bit concerned that I don't have enough algae in my tank to support more than 1 emerald crab though, since the last one I had didn't make it.... not sure how multiples would do.

Yup he loves those pineapple sponges, part of why he might not clean could be the lion though. Only other advice i got was taking the rock out and scrubbing off in wc water and rinsing it off in fresh saltwater (oxymoron i know) multiple times. It does work, but some rocks i cant move and i dont want to bust them in tank.

...I just thought that this might not work for you, you epoxied your rocks right?

Yup, all epoxied into one big heaping pile! A few of the corals that they are on I can (and will) pull out to remove the bubble algae with tweezers... but its the epoxied rocks I'm most concerned about. Also, when an emerald crab eats the bubbles, wouldn't they pop and spread spores?

Remove as much of the bubble algae by hand as you can. Careful not to pop the bubbles in your tank! They attach to the rocks using little tendrils, usually if you gently roll them back and forth you can get them off without popping them.

I had a bad issue with that a while back... bought two emralds and the stuff was gone in a week or two. They did a great job getting rid of the stuff! and when they eat them yeah they spread the spores but they eat them faster then they can grow. After that break out, the crabs died sometime (never found them) but the bubbles NEVER came back!

He had way too much fun getting rid of that bubble algae, Wonton!

That's awesome, guarda! lol

I'm gonna see what I can remove myself, then pick up another emerald crab if there's some left over.

Thanks everyone!!

Back