Bubble anemone Cinnamon clownfish issues?!?

mdowdy

Reefing newb
I'm new to LivingReefs but have used it as reference for years.

Here is my dilemma I have a new Bubble Anemone and my Cinnamon clown fish will not leave it alone.

The Clown is twice its size could this smother my new Bubble Anemone.

It looks like a giant in a kids sleeping bag here is a pic to help visualize.

Any ideas on what I should do? Thanks!

Attachments

• IMAG0039.jpg
    IMAG0039.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 766
Looks like your clownfish needs a bigger blanket! It does look huge compared to the anemone but I don't see a problem there.

If you still don't like it, you could always try getting a bigger anemone or take the clown to the lfs and get a smaller clown to try to host it.

If that's not an option then I say let the clown do its thing :)

That anemone looks very bleached. Did you buy it that color? It shouldn't be white.

The clown may be large enough to keep it closed. If that's the case, you will have to make a choice between the nem and the clown. With the nem looking unhealthy already, the clown beating up on it probably isn't a good thing. You will need to feed the nem heavily to get it back to health, and be sure to keep your water quality up. The anemone also needs very strong lighting, so I hope you are providing that too.

That anemone looks very bleached. Did you buy it that color? It shouldn't be white.

The clown may be large enough to keep it closed. If that's the case, you will have to make a choice between the nem and the clown. With the nem looking unhealthy already, the clown beating up on it probably isn't a good thing. You will need to feed the nem heavily to get it back to health, and be sure to keep your water quality up. The anemone also needs very strong lighting, so I hope you are providing that too.

I believe the camera phone made the anemone look whiter then it really is. Yes the lighting is strong. So you believe this "smothering" will kill the anemone? Have you heard of this in the past? Thanks!

So you believe this "smothering" will kill the anemone? Have you heard of this in the past? Thanks!

Usually anemones are pretty resilient when it comes to clowns. But if there's a big size difference, the clown can keep the anemone closed up, or even rip the anemone's flesh with its abuse.

I think you're going to have to make a choice. Smaller fish or bigger anemone.
It is usually not recommended to have anemones in a tank that is less than a year old. They are very sensitive to even smaller swings in water parameters, and if they die it can crash your whole tank.

I didn't even notice the bleached part of the anenome until you posted something about it. I need to pay attention to detail more. :grumble:

I believe the camera phone made the anemone look whiter then it really is. Yes the lighting is strong. So you believe this "smothering" will kill the anemone? Have you heard of this in the past? Thanks!

Yes, the clown smothering the anemone like that can be bad for it. Usually, you want the anemone to big 2-3 times bigger then the clown it's hosting.

Back