Bubble Coral and other LPS regeneration questions

Altohombre

The Tennis Pro Reefer
I've been to 3 LFS in the past couple of weeks and have noticed that a lot of Bubble Corals have either popped bubbles or a section of the piece that looks like there were corals but they have died off. Under good conditions like my tank should these bubbles grow back? This question applies to all LPS like the Torch, Frogspawn, Hammers. I don't know what to look for in these items to determine if they are healthy or if they are in the dying off stage.

Matt

I have no idea about the bubble corals.Mines got 3 little bubbles that hasnt grown at all.
Usually Torches,Hammers,and other branching LPS corals will bud off another head.
What I look for in an LPS coral.Is to see if the polyps are opening up good,no brown jelly looking stuff around the fleshy part of the head,and has good color.

Bubbles are one of the easiest corals to bring back to life. When my tank boiled a while back, my bubble coral was the only one that survived. And it didn't look like it survived at all, all the flesh was dead. I left the skeleton in the tank and after a few wees, bubbles started growing back one by one. I'd say it's about 3/4 recovered now (my tank boiled in August or so). Bubbles will come back really quickly if they are damaged.

sweet that sounds encouraging Biff. Yote on the other had wasn't as encouraging with his bubble coral that grows like Webster.

wow that sounds great. I am definitly going to get one then. It seems like the green ones aren't too common. I never see any in peoples tanks or at LFS's I have been to.

Back